Tsc switched hatchery this year.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mpgo4th, Feb 27, 2015.

1. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    My local tsc in Va has always gotten their chicks from Mt. Healthy in the past. This year all the chicks are coming from Hoover in Iowa. They have some new breeds I've never seen and they all look pretty good so far. Just thought I'd share.

1 person likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I wonder if my TSC also made this change? They got chicks in on Mon. Large, healthy chicks - they have EE chicks in a wide variety of colors - labeled as Ameraucana of course.

3. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Next time you're there look and see if it says Ameraucana or Americana.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It said Ameraucana.

5. CliffB

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Was it hand written?

6. barbiegirl

barbiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    The Poconos Pa
    My TSC switched hatcheries as well. The manager hates it. He told TSC it was too cold to ship out chicks and they didn't listen to him and he got boxes of dead chicks. They keep dying every day. He hates how they were shipped. They were shipped as heavy breed straight run, pullets, and bantams. He called to ask what breeds they were and just got the same response from the hatchery. Last year all the bins were labeled with what breeds they had.

7. snaffle

snaffle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Illinois
    What's the difference between Easter Eggers and Americauna/Ameraucana?

What's the difference between Americauna and Ameraucana?

8. CliffB

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Ameraucana is the pure breed. Americauna is what hatcheries call EE's to confuse the people buying them. EE is an Ameraucana mixed with various other breeds to create multi colored egg laying chickens.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Ameraucanas come in specific colors and breed true for color. The difference in spelling, is because someone, somewhere along the line spelled it differently. Hatcheries are being deceptive, whether it's deliberate or not. The cue is: when they say that the chicks have varied feather colors. That tells you that they are selling EE. If they tell you that they have a particular color, like: blue, black, splash, wheaten, then it may actually be an Ameraucana. Either way, IMO they are nice birds, have quirky personalities, and again, IMO the EE may actually be a better layer.

10. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    Aracauna, Americana, Americauna, Legbar, etc etc ...........

I was always under the impression that any breed that laid a greenish or bluish colored egg is considered an easter egger........

Although I will go along 100% with the explanation of the pure breds that was given.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by