tsunami hitting?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CammieSilkie, Apr 11, 2012.

1. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I actually live in cape cod in new england, and we are right out on the ocean. across the atlantic theres a volcano about to cause a landslide, which will result in a tsunami hitting new england. my dad has warned me this could happen anytime since I was five years old, and now they think its going to happen. I have chickens and love them dearly,but my dad says when the tsunami hits we can't bring them, we will just need to set them free. im terrified, for me, for them, is there an easy way to fit a rooster, 4 hens, 6 eight-week-olds and a rabbit into a tiny car with my family? what will happen to them? they're all bantam silkies. on an esitmated 'hit' zone, my house stays dry because its higher up but you never Zzz, its only predictions..

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You are correct, it is in the Canary Islands across the Atlantic Ocean. If it does occur, it will affect the whole eastern coastline of the United States. All major cities along the coast, low lying areas inland...all will be affected, including where I live. I wouldnt worry about these things, I certainly dont.
    There are more important things in life such as your parents, family and friends, and of course...your chickens. Enjoy these things and take one day at a time. Everything will be just fine.

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Try not to worry too much. You can't change what hasn't happened yet but I can understand how you feel....as I would pick my favorites and pack them in the car as well. [​IMG]

4. trifecta

trifecta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    You may want to get a medium sized cat carrier. They would all fit in that safely for travel.

I agree not to be paranoid about these things. We live in tornado country however, I and I have an ER kit and evac supplies for a few days for all the animals as well as people. I think there is a fine line between "reasonable preparation" and what you see on doomsday preppers!

We may get a tornado through here this week. Good luck with your tsunami!

5. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Personally I would pick one hen and one rooster, that way you have room for your family and supplies but will have a hen and rooster to start over if need be.

6. DamselinFlannel

DamselinFlannel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Coulterville, Illinois
    Oh, I understand, having lived on the East Coast.... Very scary! Now I live back in the Midwest in tornado country. Our home is one level, no basement. I'm still trying to figure out the fastest way to get five dogs in my car to run to my mom's (my husband works out of town, so no help from him!). :)

I would say pick your favorites, but honestly... I wouldn't be able to stand the thought of leaving some of them, and I would probably take all of them in a carrier or box. Is there somebody you know off coast who could watch them for a few days to see what happens? Maybe not even off coast, but farther away, as opposed to Cape Cod?

7. DamselinFlannel

DamselinFlannel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Coulterville, Illinois
    If you do have to leave them, make sure they have food and water supplies and do not leave them penned up in a coop with no way to escape should they need to.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    How close are you to the ocean? Tsunami only goes about 30, at the very most 50 ft tall. Anything over 50 feet in elevation should be safe from the wave. 20 feet would be more common, but I do know of one Tsunami that hit Alaska that was 50 feet tall.

You will get lots of warning. The wave will be tracked all across the ocean.

Seriously, if you are really worried, make arrangement right now to have a friend at a higher elevation take your chickens for awhile. But if the volcano really does blow, you should have plenty of time to make several trips in the car. I know that Mass is not totally flat and elevation 1 ft above sea level for hundreds of miles. You shouldn't have to travel too far to get above wave height.

9. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

:( yikes I didn't hear of this - glad I came to BYC today!

Edit: I can't find anything on the web regarding this ~ and am freaking out a bit. I do not like tsunamis [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  10. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Just wondering where you heard about the possibility of a Tsunami in the Atlantic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by