Tub Brooder Coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MyKidLuvsGreenEgz, Jan 15, 2011.

1. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I've read so many postings lately that I can't find one I was telling Hubby about. Someone made a brooder coop out of tubs they got at Wal-Mart (I think). Cut out part of the tops and placed wire-netting on it (for ventilation?). Then took the brooder lamps, put some kind of plumber's brackets to set them on the wire-netting. The chicks went to the wire-netting side to get warm, and on the other side was the food and water.

I promised Hubby I'd show him the pics but now can't find the thread. Anybody?

I bought a tub at Wally yesterday so now we just have to cut out the part and attach the wire netting. We're going to use wooden blocks to prop up the broody lamp tho.

Your input would be appreciated although we have 22-23 days before our chicks get here! Thanks!

2. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    anybody?

3. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    all you have to do is go to the brooder topic

their are tons and tons of photos.. let me see if I can find the link for you
    brb

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
  5. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
  6. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

7. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Mine's in there.

Lots of great ideas abound in that thread!!

8. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Just as an FYI - depending on the size of your chicks - they grow very quickly!! We brought home 6 RIR-Delaware chicks that were 2 days old and they started in a small box then moved into a lawnmower box with-in three weeks ... they grew out of a box that was 4 X 2 feet by the time they were six weeks old!!! Best of luck with your baby chicks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by