1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

TUB plucker vs STAND plucker...?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rehric00, Feb 9, 2014.

1. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Hi all,

I hand plucked my first round of meaties last year... what a mess! This year, I plan on using a plucker machine :) What are your thought on tub pluckers vs stand pluckers?

I found a decent looking stand plucker for $175... BUT- its 2.5-3 hours one way to pick it up... so factor in gas $$

I have looked endlessy at plans for a whizbang/tub style but I think to get the parts for it- I would be investing more than if I just went and got this stand plucker...

Whats your opinion? Which do you like better and why?

2. Coles FreshEggs

Coles FreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    I have used both, and the whizbang (tub) plucker is superior and takes less time. I have a feather man, and an EZ Plucker. If you buy an EZ plucker, they are good quality for a relativity cheap price for an all stainless steel plucker (500-600dollars) I wouldn't buy the featherman simply because of price. I also built a whizbang, and that worked fairly well, but it would have taken less time and effort to buy a new one from CC Only (Ez Plucker). I hope I helped you make a decision.

3. rehric00

Apr 3, 2013
    I have decided on the stand plucker.. Here is why...

I am not very technical and I would find building my own to be troublesome and time consuming. I am also not good at knowing what I can salvage and save money on... I would probably spend a lot on the tub style. I talked the guy down quite a bit and I feel like if be getting a good deal. I also figure we won't be doing more than 20 birds a harvest, tops... Therefore I can justify this one for now.

I will post pics after I get it. I thinki will like it. I am just beyond thrilled to finally be getting one! I hope it doesn't fall through :fl

4. rehric00

Apr 3, 2013
  5. Coles FreshEggs

Coles FreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    Looks very nice! I hope it works for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by