1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

tube hanging from lethargic hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by robat70, Aug 25, 2013.

1. robat70

robat70 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2012
    Pasadena, CA
    My Coop
    One of our hens became lethargic today and I noticed something hanging from her rear. It came off easily... was not attached, more just stuck to the feathers. It's a hollow tube, the thickest part is a springy bulb. We discovered a poorly formed egg yesterday. Is this some kind of inverted vent due to a problem passing the eggs? I doesn't look good...

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may be the shell-less membrane of an egg.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's a mishapen soft shell without the whites/yolk. It sounds like your hen is having internal egg laying problems. If there are liquid remains of the egg inside her, it could cause a bacterial infection. I recommend that you give her a vinegar/water flush to prevent bacterial infection.
    Use a large syringe without a needle, mix 1 tablespoon of WHITE vinegar to 1 quart of water. Use a syringeful of the mixture and insert it into her vent and gently flush. Use about 3 or 4 syringefuls, the liquid may or may not flow out of her afterwards.

4. robat70

robat70 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2012
    Pasadena, CA
    My Coop
    She's seems much better now, so I may hold off on the cleansing but will keep track of her. It's probably a method we should get familiar with so I'll look for some how-to videos on utube.

Perhaps they're all going through an 'awkward stage'.
    It is nice to have this kind of support-- Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by