Tubing for drinkers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Animalian, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I need to put together a drinker system for my birds. I have six cup drinkers, only plan to use three or four the rest are just in case theres a dodgey one in the bunch.

My question is what kind of tubing did you use or reccomend.

I found the fittings and tubing for drip irrigation fit seem to the cups well. But I'm wondering if its safe for the birds to drink from water in these pipes. I'd hate for it to leech something and make them sick.

I was also thinking

Clear tube - I could see blockages and whether it needs to be cleaned. BUT being clear algae would grow easier in there. So I'm thinking opaque tube would be better?

What diametre tube is best?

Thanks in advance guys

2. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    I used pvc, that seemed to work fine for my flock... [​IMG]

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    PVC is always great but we have switched over to opaque tubing. It deals better with weather conditions and provides more protection for the water inside. Works great

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

The tubing you describe is the same that comes with a watering system designed specifically for rabbits, so it shouldn't be any problem. I can't imagine why your water should be getting clogged in the tubing, so visualizing shouldn't be needed. You can also use the T junctions from the drip systems also to create a more fitted/customized watering system.

Just be careful they cannot pull any of the tubing into the cages as they will make short work of it.

5. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    now I'm wonmderinh how to attach the drinker, it has to be screwed in, but I can't find any 't' fitting things that are small enough...

6. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Quote:Got any pictures? maybe even some store photos from the web.

I know there are drip irrigation parts that are screw in (most are barbed/compression)

Aquarium shop might have some tubing fittings that'll work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by