Tucker Milling non GMO?

Mikie0607

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2021
Hello everyone, my first post but I’ve been looking and researching for months now. My chickens are approximately 10 weeks, and I’m still undecided on the best local food to purchase for my chickens when they start laying. If there is more information for this question elsewhere already posted - please help direct me there.

I currently feed my chickens Purina starter medicated and am planning on switching to either Purina layena with added omega 3 or Tucker millings non GMO formula. I’m impartial to the non GMO because I know that’s a selling tactic, but it contains fish meal which seems to be a sought after ingredient? It also contains whole grain wheat, sunflower meal, and then the minhaden fish meal as the first 3 ingredients. I’d love to choose between tucker milling/purina/nutrena brands which is what my local feed stores sell and I want to continue to buy local. Please help me decipher the ingredients list to figure out what’s the healthier of the two and what exactly to look for and avoid with chicken feed ingredients. Thank you!

Tucker Milling Grower: https://tuckermilling.com/product-items/naturecrest-ultra-grower-developer/

Tucker Milling Layer: https://tuckermilling.com/product-items/naturecrest-ultra-layer/

Purina Layena with Omega 3: https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/detail/purina-layena-omega-3

https://earlybirdgoodfield.com/Nutrition/PDF/Poultry/Layena with Omega.pdf

I’m having trouble finding the exact ingredients for the Purina Layer online, if anyone knows that would be very helpful. This is the closest I could find: https://championfeedandpet.com/catalog/product/141500/purina-layena-crumbles-premium-poultry-feed-50

Also attached a picture of an ingredients list picture that was posted a while back.

Please excuse me if something similar had been posted, just want to learn as much as I can and want to provide my family eggs that are healthier than the general ones from the store while also not spending a small fortune.

Attachments

• A794F362-0A11-49A9-BBFA-4DFD0376F9CC.jpeg
    A794F362-0A11-49A9-BBFA-4DFD0376F9CC.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
These are the feed labels for the Omega 3 feeds I've used. The Hearty Hen also has Omega 3. These labels are more than 3 years old, and ingredients do change slightly during the year and may be different in other areas of the country, but the analysis should be the same. View attachment 2572469View attachment 2572471
I haven't used either feed in 3 years, but I like the Nutrena feed for the higher Protein. I don't feed less than 18% Protein to my chickens. View attachment 2572519View attachment 2572516
GC
Thank you! Purina seems so vague on their ingredients. Not a big fan of that. I actually decided to switch to Nutrena all flock for the extra protein and will then go with the Hearty hen you recommended when my chickens start laying! I appreciate your help!

Welcome to BYC.
It's hard to find exact ingredients online because it changes throughout the year.

The best feed you can feed your birds is FRESH crumble or pelleted feed that's age appropriate.
I highly recommend not feeding a whole grain feed because that gives the birds and option to pick and choose which grain to eat which could lead to them not getting a balanced diet which in itself will cause problems.

They brand names are not much different other than price.

I’m having trouble finding the exact ingredients for the Purina Layer online, if anyone knows that would be very helpful.
These are the feed labels for the Omega 3 feeds I've used. The Hearty Hen also has Omega 3. These labels are more than 3 years old, and ingredients do change slightly during the year and may be different in other areas of the country, but the analysis should be the same.
20180106_111805.jpg
20171217_191026.jpg

I haven't used either feed in 3 years, but I like the Nutrena feed for the higher Protein. I don't feed less than 18% Protein to my chickens.
20201219_155351.jpg
20210220_165130.jpg

GC

Yes, the pork, and type of fish meal they used, is what made them so much better. Without stirring up a fuss, most of the feeds now tend to be vegetable based protein (soy, corn, wheat, etc.) Chickens actually benefit from occasional animal protein, especially during molt. Once in awhile, I give mine canned Mackerel, or canned cat food. If you have a piece of leftover meat, toss it in the food processor, and toss it out to the chickens. This especially helps during molt. No, bugs don't always seem to be quite enough animal protein for them.

Yes, the pork, and type of fish meal they used, is what made them so much better. Without stirring up a fuss, most of the feeds now tend to be vegetable based protein (soy, corn, wheat, etc.) Chickens actually benefit from occasional animal protein, especially during molt. Once in awhile, I give mine canned Mackerel, or canned cat food. If you have a piece of leftover meat, toss it in the food processor, and toss it out to the chickens. This especially helps during molt. No, bugs don't always seem to be quite enough animal protein for them.

I bought whole fish for a while because I thought my chickens would like to pick at them after I ate most of the meat. No interest at all. Ditto on most other meats.

They love cat food and dog food though! I give my flock of 20 about a handful a day. I also give them the cat food cans when the cats are done with them. They pick them absolutely clean. Same with tuna cans.

Their Southern Select Poultry Grower is fantastic. I wouldn't use the non GMO stuff.
I heard that as well, but I called them and recently they reformulated their recipe and don’t have pork/menhaden fish meal in any of their foods anymore. Is this what made them so good?

Back
Top Bottom