tucking in the chickens at night

Roadstump

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 22, 2011
Boerne, Texas
I'm in the hill country of Texas where Spring time means 85 degree days and 65 degree nights. My coop opens up into a totally enclosed and secure run. I have 8 pullets that are 8 weeks old. They instinctively head to the coop when the sun goes down and I close the little door and they are in for the night. Last night we had a friend come over and long story short, I went to bed and forgot to close the little door. I think it's called a 'pop' door?? Anyway, when I got up in the morning they had already come out and were enjoying the sunny morning.

My question is, do I have to close the door? I mean there is nothing that can get to them so I know they are safe but just close it because I think that's what I'm supposed to do.

Thoughts?

Usually, people close the pop door for the security against nighttime predators. And often they don't if they feel certain the run is secure. There really is no other reason to close it unless it would be against drafts in winter, that I can think of. They will be outdoors before sunrise if it is left open, or at least mine are.

If your run is secure like you said to where no crafty predators can get in than it is probably fine to keep the pop door open.
If however, you feel more secure knowing they are safely tucked in then keep the door closed at night.

I was leaving my doors open this past summer 'cause it was so hot and humid and I was afraid the girls would die from heatstroke. Not to worry about the heatstroke. A possum got in, bit part of the comb off Cleo, my black cochin who had just hatched out some chicks, and killed two of the 4 chicks. My BO, who was helping "mother" the chicks was so scared she flew against the gate and opened it enough to get out. The other girls were up on the roosts. Discount home automation has some really inexpensive automatic door opener/closers. I got one for each door. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them!! I don't have to worry about getting up there to let them out in the morning, and I can be gone after dark, knowing that the door will shut while I'm gone. I always go up and do a "head count" every night to make sure everyone is there.

Jen

We have a fenced chicken run and two summers ago we got into the habit of leaving the little chicken door into the run open at night.

We didn't really notice that chickens were going missing until one morning I found the body of a hen laying in the chicken run with her back ripped open. Some predator was scaling the fence at night and dragging out our hens, one by one.

Our door is secured every night now--don't want predators figuring out where to get an easy meal.

It gets warm here, too--if it gets dangerously hot in the summer I rig up temporary shade and sometimes drag a big fan out there. My coop has windows on three sides for cross-ventilation.

If you feel like your run is secure, leave the door open. You will soon find out how good your handy work is! I am very confident in our run so I leave my pop door open. Otherwise, I get "Mom Guilt" and can't allow myself to sleep past dawn on my days off knowing my ladies would like to be out.

Ok stupid question about the auto doors...I get it that they open on a timer. Surely they close on a timer too. But what if the bird brains arent all in their coop? They get locked outside? I have to chase mine in at dark.

Back
Top Bottom