Tucking Peeps Into Bed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Happycowdog, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Happycowdog

Happycowdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    My little ones, one week old Easter Egger and two Brahmas are so histerical! They will start to peep loudly at around 9:30 pm until I tuck them into their box with straw and snuggle a towel around them. Almost immediately they quiet! They stay under the towel until morning around 8:00 am! I spoiled them the first night they were home by tucking them into my lap until they fell asleep because they wouldn't quiet. I then wrapped them in my shirt all night because they were up peeping. If I hadn't, they would have been peeping loudly through the night. It was the EE that was peeping loudly at first. Now the others do it. Is this normal?? I know mama hen will lay on them; is this why they won't lay on their shavings and sleep? Or did I spoil them? I think I did....[​IMG]

They also were waiting, peeping loudly behind the bathroom door until I went in. When I open the door they follow me and when they see that I am busy in the bathroom, they will feed. They started hopping out of the brooder about three days ago. My husband just put together a really awesome brooder! They spent most of the day yesterday in it, but then I let them stay in the bathroom for the night. They spent all day today, with the exception of playtime in the grass, in the new brooder. Now they are spending their first night in the garage. I of course had to tuck them in as they wouldn't settle down. The new brooder is really secure and so is the garage. I just worry still, they are so vunerable at this age! I just felt like sharing! [​IMG]

2. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    They usually get noisy when they're cold. But it can be other things also.

3. Happycowdog

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    We had that heat lamp set up the first week, they tend to stay away from it; it is really hot here too. It is in the 90's this week, do you think they will be okay in the garage this week without it? We have it set up out there. I didn't think they would need it during the day though.[​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If your garage (and brooder) get below 90 degrees at night, I'd turn on that lamp! (You did say they were a week old, right?)

The babies need this temp 24/7, as a general rule:

Week 1 - 95 degrees
    Week 2 - 90
    Week 3 - 85
    Week 4 - 80
    Week 5 - 75
    Week 6 - 70
    Week 7 - 65
    Week 8 - 60. By this time they should be fully feathered.

5. Happycowdog

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    Thanks! We don't have a thermometer in the garage but it is cooler than the bathroom. We have the lamp set up out there and we turned it on last night and they seemed comfortable. During the day it seems awful hot out there as the temp is soaring here in the Miami Valley so I do leave it off.

6. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I am finding with mine if the heat lamp or light is on they are awake and peeping. But during the day I turn off the heat lamp and thus they are awake when I check on them at night.

Course I am a sap and they are in the basement of the house and not outside where they are supposed to be. This way I can check on them right before I go to bed and right away in the morning. I think my hubby thinks I am nuts but for now he is allowing me to do this [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by