1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tucson Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MagicChicken, Apr 8, 2012.

1. MagicChicken

MagicChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Hi all,

I've been lurking for several months and finally joined so I could subscribe to a couple of threads. Thanks for all the wonderful info on this site!

Last fall I inherited four hens from a friend who had to move and couldn't take his chickens with him. There are two reds of questionable origin, a barred rock, and an easter egger. We are slowly getting to know each other.

Went away for two days and came back to find the smallest hen all bloody. The person taking care of the chickens never noticed. (!!!!) Looks like the hen broke a blood feather and the others started picking her raw, so she has been separated from the bullies for a few weeks while she heals. Turns out she's my best layer, producing 4-5 eggs/week. Who knew??

The hens are all around 2 years old. Now that I have a portion of the coop/run sectioned off, I'm going to separate them one at a time so I can see for sure who is/isn't laying. I'm pretty sure the easter egger is slacking. I haven't had a blue, green or olive egg ever. If she is laying her eggs are brown. Separation will be the only way to find out for sure. The little sneak had me fooled - I thought she was responsible for the lovely pale pink/brown eggs, but those turned out to be from the barred rock. The other day I watched the barred rock hop into an empty nest box. Heard an egg drop. Voila! The barred rock had just laid a light pinkish/brown egg.

Looks like it's time to read the slacking easter egger some nice stew recipes. Maybe she will shape up. If not, we'll be having a yummy chicken dinner just as soon as I get up to speed on how to process a chicken. Lots of info to absorb. It's going to take a while.

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined us

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Greetings from a fellow Tucsonan and welcome to BYC. Drop in and say hello on our fun BYC AZ thread!

6. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    [​IMG] and Hi, from TN, Glad to see another great member join you will love this site!

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. gabirder

gabirder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    [​IMG] from the gateway to the Okefenokee Swamp and the Folkston Funnel - a train watchers paradise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by