Tucson's High Heat & Coturnix Quail

YWoody

Chirping
Jun 5, 2023
Hello, I'm just starting out with backyard Coturnix quail. (I wanted a small covey just for eggs & pets). I researched the heck out of this subject before starting.
Waiting on the shady side of my backyard is a sturdy outdoor Aviary w/ 1/2 inch wire hardware, submerged w/ wire floor & it's a virtual fortress.
I'll share my experience thus far & welcome any & all comments, tips, etc.
It's been a rocky start... majority of eggs shipped to me were either not fertile or damaged in shipment & not viable; then the NR 360 incubator's temp fluctuated CONSTANTLY despite location in closed office, closed windows & closed AC vents. (Tractor Supply said I had a bad unit & refunded my $ which did not help with the disappointment). I "autopsied" the unhatched eggs after 21 days & only one unhatched chick was somewhat developed.
In the end I had only 3 chicks, but they were beautiful & healthy & I was not giving up. I obtained 4 more chicks from local breeder that were only a few days younger than my chicks; so I now have 7 quail (2 of which I will give back to local breeder as I ended up with 3 roos).
Two of the chicks given me by this local breeder have crooked necks; and I've tried everything I've read to resolve this, w/only minimal improvement (assuming it's a nutritional issue & not a mutation as some have said); they still are getting poultry vitamins in their water & the 2 with crooked necks are eating & drinking normally & are not getting picked on.
Since getting off supplemental heat they've been in a large brooder in my garage; (my garage has 3 large skylights so they are used to the night/day changes). The temp in my garage is constant between 79-86 degrees. They are all healthy and happy, & at 5 weeks old they are more than ready to go out into the Aviary, however, I am so concerned about our high heat this time of year.
This forum has been a great help to me, as most of my questions were already posed by others, so this is the first time I've posted a question of my own...
There's been a lot of conversation about how young quail tolerate the cold, however not much to address the high heat we get in Tucson. Nighttime lows are now 63-68 degrees & Highs are currently 92-98 degrees; but it WILL get hotter! My aviary is open to breezes, protected on one side by a wall, & surrounded by mature plants. There are a few tuff grasses planted in the corners that are reported to be safe for Quail (can anyone provide names of other plants that are safe inside a quail aviary?). There is always some shade inside the aviary, & it's partially in sun until about 12-1pm at which point it's then completely shaded by a wall. I have a Govee thermometer sitting on the ground inside my aviary & in the hottest part of the day it has read up to 99 degrees!!
Question.... What can I do to help my quail survive the heat?
YWoody

Thank You very much Nabiki! :)
Great suggestions! I'm working on the shade part already... stapled shade cloth over the top of aviary that gets the most sun in 1st half of the day. I've installed a gravity fed watering system that has weighted cups that fill automatically. Ive been testing it over last few days and it seems to work great 🤞

You can also chill granite tiles. Even when they're not chilled, they can keep pretty cool as long as they're in the shade. Sometimes if you go to the hardware store you can pick up damaged tiles for really cheap or sometimes free.

You can also chill granite tiles. Even when they're not chilled, they can keep pretty cool as long as they're in the shade. Sometimes if you go to the hardware store you can pick up damaged tiles for really cheap or sometimes free.
We use misters for our chickens in the summer. Is that something that would work for quail? Or should they not be wet.

Another great idea! :)
I will look for those... but I've never heard of granite tiles, (I wonder if flagstone or Saltillo tiles would work in the same way?)

Nabiki, do you mean polished granite tiles like we use on countertops?

Back
Top Bottom