Tuesday is Lock Down... Question

MyNameIs86

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
New Jersey
Okay. So this tuesday is lock down at 2pm, except i know i won't be home at 2pm. I have a dr's appoint at 3:30pm and i usually leave at 1pm because there's traffic after 2pm. What should i do? Do lock down in the morning? or when i get home and pray to god nothing has hatched?

Okay. So this tuesday is lock down at 2pm, except i know i won't be home at 2pm. I have a dr's appoint at 3:30pm and i usually leave at 1pm because there's traffic after 2pm. What should i do? Do lock down in the morning? or when i get home and pray to god nothing has hatched? 

Goodness knows I am not an expert, but if you are really worried you should candle them all before you leave and see if any of them have internal pips. If they do, then lockdown before your appointment. If they don't, then do it after.

It really won't matter if you lockdown and hour or 2 earlier than 14:00. I never look at the time I set eggs and lockdown. I go by the days I set and make a not if I set in the mornings, midday or evening and keep that in mind when they should start to hatch. I've found early birds pipping on day 18 when I locked down and they went on to hatch fine later too!

Lockdown the eggs just before you leave for your appointment, they'll be fine. Good luck with your hatch!

I dry hatched mine

in a homemade incubator, I really like dry hatch, and I locked down on day 18, but I think I wish I would have waited until they pierce the air cell first, because day 18 they still have alot of juice to absorb. absorbing is harder if you add too much water. and it may slow your hatch.
I am on day 22, top 3 mostly zipped bottom 3 in their air cells.

So today is lockdown. I put the eggs into lockdown at 11am before I ran all my errands. Came home...no peeps yet. Wasn't really expecting any though. I picked up chick mesh food for $0.60 a pound at the local farm. Wow. I was expecting it to cost $1 - $3.00 a pound. lol. So I got 4 pounds. lol. Last year my dog got into the food and thought she was a chick her self. lol. no harm done she's still with us. lol.
i have the food in a box so she can't get to it. lol.

dry hatch went well all 6 eggs hatched. We did lose one after the hatch she hatched on day 23 1/2 and kept trying to kick the bottom half of her shell off her outtie with strong cords. most of the stuff was sucked up but the cords were strong enough looking I wanted to leave'm alone. I clipped of the shell part but left the part she was connected to then put her in a sock so she would not get her navel pecked and went back to bed since it was 2 am when she woke me. by morning she crawled out of the sock but had died. If it was any other time of day I would have taken more time with her and given her a heated rice bag. she was weak and kinda shocky but I was too tired.

All other birds did well and are doing well they are playing with my other baby chicks.

Day 19...Nothing yet... I thought I saw one move but i think it was my fault it moved cuz when i put the flashlight on top it made the incubator move slighlty.

Back
Top Bottom