tufelhundin from Yucca Valley, CA - High Desert

tufelhundin

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
tufelhundin from Yucca Valley, CA - High Desert

Im in the Marines, stationed at Twentynine Palms, CA Marine Corps Base. I own a home in Yucca Valley. I'm a year from retirement. I planted my first garden here a week ago. I am interested in raising a few chickens. I'm from Texas, where my mother still lives and raises cattle on a small farm. We were always garden people. I'm also interested in raising chickens here, obviously.

Greetings from Kansas, tufelhundin, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! I salute you military service. Good luck to you and your chickens!

Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

I think chickens would be the perfect compliment to your garden.

And Thank You very much for helping take great care of our country!

welcome-byc.gif
Hello from Washington State. I am very familuar with your neck of the woods, having grown up in the Coachella Valley. Yes, chickens are a great addition that you will enjoy. A word of caution though, there are bobcats/cougers up there that love chicken. One wiped out 4 whole flocks when my daughter was living in Landers, not far from Yucca Valley. They literally broke into the coop and destroyed over 24 birds, on 4 different occasions. Make sure you have a really good coop to house them, and something stronger than chicken wire, cause cats are sly buggers. My daughter finally had to enclose her run and reinforced her coop with chain link to keep them out, but hey still tried.

welcome-byc.gif
Thank you for your years in service to our country. Most chickeners hope to build a "Fort Knox" coop and run. Chicken wire only keeps chickens IN, it keeps nothing OUT.
People generally reinforce their runs with 18"-24" inch high or more hardware clotheon the inside of the runs., even if using chain link. This is mainly to keep raccoons from reaching in and eating any part of a chicken they can snag. The masked bandits, as well as fox, coyote, etc. can climb as well as jump. Eagles/hawks hit from above. It very prudent in some use least deer fencing across the top of a run to deter them.

Please check out forums on predators and coop/run building.

Thank you, All. It is my pleasure to serve. I will take your advice and be extra diligent in building a critter proof habitat for my chickens. I emailed my local animal control for local laws and such because they aren't posted on the internet, as best as I can tell. I'll be on lots as I find out more. Thanks, again.

tufelhundin

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom