Tufted Araucana and odd-colored Marans chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Katy, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Jody...here's a pix of the tufted chick...not very good, but she didn't want to cooperate! [​IMG][​IMG]

One of the light Marans chicks is getting barred wing feathers so I guess we'll see how she developes over time. She's at the top in the picture[​IMG]

group shot[​IMG]

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

That little araucana is just precious! I want one!

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] Now those a nice tufts! I am so glad you got a perty tufty baby. They are so adorable all feathered out with those feathers coming out their heads.

Jody

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I hope it's a she.....How big do they get compared to silkies? Right now I've got the one that hatched a few weeks back in with the silkies because he's so much smaller than my other standard chicks. They weren't picking on him, but they outgrew him so fast I was afraid he might be getting pushed away from the feeder. He'll probably have an identity crisis when he finally sees someone who looks like him!!

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I personally think the araucana would do well with the silkies. The silkies have the fluff to make up for weight on araucana..hehe Standard araucana are a small standard breed. Cockerels are only 4-5 pounds and pullets 3-4 pounds. I hope she's a girl too. [​IMG]

Jody

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yeah...right now just looking he blends right in with the silkies with size, but I know he outweighs them. For right now I'm gonna keep them together.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Katy, that's so funny that the little oddball is feathering in with barring anyway. How strange that it started out looking splashy! What is it with you and I and oddball chicks? My BR baby that looked like a SLW baby now just looks like a sort of badly barred, blotchy/splotchy, Barred Rock cockerel.

8. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

They are too adorable Katy.

9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Katy I was looking up some info on Marans last night and I found a website that talks about silver marans and how it is a reccesive gene that can hide behind cuckoo and how this guy got his start by breeding his two marans and getting a chick that looks just like your they are very beatiful birds I will go look and see if I can find the link and post it here.

Good Luck
    henry

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good information, Henry! Maybe that's her answer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by