Tufted Roman or Pilgrim

goose79

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Hi,
I want to get some geese this year. I have decided on either tufted roman or pilgrim. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each breed? Is there a huge size difference? I have children so a gentle species would be nice too! I have done so much searching on these two breeds and come up empty...help!!!

Jen

p.s. If you have any pictures I would really appreciate it!

Good Morning and
welcome-byc.gif
Sorry I don't have an answer for you as I don't have geese at this time. I do plan on getting a pair of Pilgrim geese either this year or next. They are suppose to be very docile, a fairly small bird about 15-18 lbs which is about the size of a Muscovie drake. I believe they are also on the endangered list as a breed. I expect someone on here with first hand experience will answer you shortly. Good luck on your decision and enjoy whatever geese you decide on.

I have personally never had either of these breeds(not from the lack of wanting lol). I did however have a friend when I lived in NY that did. I spent a lot of time there and was always helping her with her poultry and waterfowl. She had 2 tufted roman and 4 pilgrim. They were both very calm, but I would have to say her pilgrim were more personable. They always wanted to "help" us with what we were doing and she said they tamed really easy. She had a little girl and they never bothered her, but this may be because they were raised from babies in that setting.

Also, and I don't know if this is common or not, but both her romans had leg problems.

I think either breed if you were going to raise them as babies, because they would be around your kids and the environment you live in. Just remember that males can be more aggressive, and in the spring they will be worse if you have a female.

I hope I helped you a little.

If you want to know about Embdens or Toulouse I could help you more lol
wink.png

Julie
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I've never had Romans but our Pilgrims are lovely. Very friendly. We have six different varieties of geese and I think that the pilgrims are one of the two sweetest & most human interactive of the group. Good luck with your geese which ever variety you choose.

I have enjoyed my pair of Pilgrim geese. I raised them last spring, and they have been very well behaved with my 2 1/2 year old son. They follow me everywhere and I regularly have to chase them off the porch, I think they would follow me into the house if I left the door open.

Here are a couple pictures:

IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_5005-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom