tufted silky cochin mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by luckysaysgo, Feb 9, 2015.

1. luckysaysgo

luckysaysgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2014
    I was pretty sure this egg came from a cochin with a mixed silky roo but the day old chick has noticeable tufts like an araucana..what am I looking at?[​IMG]

2. luckysaysgo

Mar 1, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. luckysaysgo

Mar 1, 2014
    Anyone?

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It is a mixed breed as Silkies and Cochins don't have ear tufts, and Araucanas don't have feathered legs as it does look tufted and (potentially rumpless), and early to tell but also Silkie down-ish to me too. (Check at the tail end...if you can't feel the little bump for the coccyx, it is rumpless...from what I've read.)

If I had to guess at this point...I would say a mix of Silkie and Araucana.

Or those tufts aren't really tufts but some odd feathering from something else feeding into the mix...but I can't think of what other than an Araucana.

Could the Silkie mixed roo have Araucana in it? That *might* explain it if the genetics lined up right with the Cochin hen.

Now here, I am only getting my head wrapped around genetics, so someone better versed than I may step in to clarifiy and correct.

The ear tufting would have been domiant from the rooster, but the rooster should have shown that (?)...as the rooster would have carried only 1 gene as 2 gene tufted is lethal, but would have had to have had 1 gene thus exhibiting tufting (which maybe seems hidden do to the Silkie fluffing?). So his progeny could have some tufting while most no tufting (like...what 25% possible). If the Silkie rooster wasn't tufted, then I would question that the Silkie mix was the rooster....or that those are really tufts.

If from a Silkie mix...*typically* the five toes is dominant (but only if the rooster had 2 genes of 5 toes, not 1 of 4 toe and 1 of 5 toe) and that would have displayed over the 4 toes of the Cochin...if I have the toe genetics correct). So if the chick has 5 toes, that's a mark for Silkie.

I don't have the skin genetics down yet, but if it has the black skin, that would really indicate some Silkie as well.

Just some thoughts...I am not a Silkie expert and definitely not an Araucana expert (or much of a novice either as I've never owned an Araucana).

Lady of McCamley

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    So do I.

7. luckysaysgo

Mar 1, 2014
    THANKS! It will be fun to see what it turns into...

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Whatever it is, its CUTE! Please post update pics as it grows, I'd really like to see how it turns out :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by