tufts in baby araucanas?

amazondoc

Cracked Egghead
12 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Lebanon, TN
Hey guys --

Does anyone have pics of ear tufting in newly hatched araucanas, especially bantams?

I just hatched two itty bitty little guys yesterday. Just got em out of the hatcher this morning. I can't tell whether they are tufted or not. This may mean that they are both clean faced.....but I don't know how obvious tufts ARE in the babies.

Can anyone show pics, or give me input here? I'd appreciate it!

amazondoc Well depending on what color the chicks are, sometimes they are quite obvious and other times they are harder to see.. post a pic..lets have a looky

I have some pic's in my byc pages and on the web site of the blue chicks but you can see them as plan as day on those particular chicks, white are sometimes hard to spot, but with a trained eye ,,lol you can see them....

Charlie

Last edited:
rightyLarge.jpg

Not sure if you can see it that well or not.... but this little gal has a small tuft on one side and a large tuft on the other.

When she hatched they were just little mounds of feathers by her ears.

Yeah, it's that "trained eye" part that's getting me right now....mine ain't!

These are chipmunk chicks, so there's no solid color to provide a good background. I'll get pics later today or tomorrow, and I'll take a look at your pics. Thanks!

Guitartists -- no, I can't see it. That makes me feel better about the possibility of mine being tufted, especially because your chick is bigger than mine.

And that's a NICE pic!

Quote:
YUP LOL and in the summer it sprouts a Daisy lookin thing
wink.png
gig.gif

Yeah... hers were hard to see.... it's just a noticable poof... most noticable when compared to one without tufts.

She's soooo sweet
smile.png
She has laid 4 eggs so far.... I wish I had her separated from the other roos so I could incubate them .... but so far I have only seen the Ameraucana cockerels mating her. They would be cute chickies no doubt... hmmmm LOL

Ah-hah!

Charlie, your baby pics were a big help. I looked at them, then went back and stared at the chicks from above. I can now see that at least one of the chicks has at least one tuft for sure. Neither one of em is really completely fluffed out yet, though, so I won't form any conclusions about other tufts yet.

Pics coming. Thanks for the help from both of you!

Back
Top Bottom