Tula, Emporda, Normandy and other unusual breeds

Discussion in 'Geese' started by livininbrazil, Jan 23, 2014.

1. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, MLyd, yes isn´t the Tula a strange-looking goose! And there are others....so there´s the Tse Tau for you to look up, and the Shi Tou. [​IMG] OK. They reckon the Tula my have been used to produce some of today´s breeds nin eastern europe into Asia, and other similar-looking geese too. As far as I can tell, many of them were developed around the year 1900ish.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Alrighty then I'm off to look up these 2 breeds, now the Shi Tou sounds like a dog breed lol

3. livininbrazil

I was just reading that what´s own today as the African probably was the Lion Head or Shi Tou in the 1850s, exported to the US from China. It´s very interesting reading.

4. livininbrazil

[​IMG] It does, doesn´t it! And I´ve just found another breed to look up, called Diepholz which, apparently, if you cross it with an asiatic goose, can also produce something similar to the steinbacher.....Mmmm I´m getting itchy to play with breeds, now! [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well you go right ahead, and I looked up both those breeds on bing and couldn't find either one. so now i'm off to find this Diephilz, [are you sure your not making this up? [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  7. livininbrazil

[​IMG] Just don´t say the name if you don´t want to spray someone! I´m getting this info out of a very interesting book I have here. I read it over and over to try to understand things.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    True it could get messy. lol okay went here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_goose_breeds 2 breeds aren't listed.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  10. livininbrazil

Yes, so geese like these from Europe...also the czech goose, pomeranian, probably were crossed with asiatic geese to produce some of the stunning breeds like the steinbacher.
    Those other two chinese named geese are probably the original Africans, apparently. Did you find 'Lion Head'?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by