Tumor/Growth on Hen

mamahen_mary

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2018
Fresno, California
I just discovered a growth (about 1 inch diameter) on my hen's lower rib area yesterday. She is 8 months old and acting healthy (eating, drinking, scratching, etc). I'm not sure if she is laying, we isolated her yesterday so I will know today if she is. I did a about an hour of combing through this thread last night and didn't find any similar conditions. I don't believe it has anything to do with her crop or vent. The only other symptoms are her poop seems more watery than usual and when we hold her she tends to poop on whomever is holding her. I know chickens are good at hiding sickness until it is really bad. So.....
1. Any idea what this is?
2. Should we keep her isolated?
3. What should be our next step?
IMG_5400.JPG

Last edited:
A few questions—
Is the lump hard? Does that scab looking section seem to be from an injury or like the growth burst?

Tumors are possible but I’m try to rule out injury. Chicken infection isn’t the liquidy puss we get as humans. It is a hard yellow substance that if removed can make improvements quickly.

I’m no expert and definitely not a vet but if it were me I would try to investigate the growth further. Soak the area and see if that scab loosens. If you can take close up pictures to post. The more clues we have the more we can help.

Could be an ingrown feather. I see a black spot in the middle. Is this a hole with black material in it? If so, this probably is a ingrown feather. And if it is, you would start with an alcohol wipe on the area, sterile instruments and at that hole you first dig out the feather. You will need to squeeze as much of the pus out of the cyst as possible, then use antibiotic ointments for a couple weeks. She should heal just fine.

Keep us posted! :)

Here is a closer pic of the tumor. The part where the blood is, is where I pulled off a scab. It continued to bleed and it didn't appear there was any puss like substance that came out.
Also don't know if this is related, but her poops continue to be a bit watery and we cleaned up her vent again. Oh! And she laid an egg today.
Any other ideas/suggestions on what to do?

IMG_5399.JPG

Down about 5 o’clock and 11 o’clock in the picture where it is yellow, there is a little swelling around the feathers. It is so perfectly round which is not like most tumors I have seen in pics. Could it be a warble fly, if not a feather cyst?

Could this be fly strike?

I've seen only one case of fly strike but you could clearly see maggots in the hole.

Back
Top Bottom