Tumor??? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleBrownie, Oct 14, 2015.

1. LittleBrownie

LittleBrownie Queen of Stache

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    I took a look at my sick hen today.
    She's had this eye swollen for a while now and I've been giving her antibiotics on her water and giving her fresh garlic.
    But, yesterday it wasn't as big as this.
    [​IMG]
    It is very hard and quite big. Is this a tumor???
    And if it isn't, should I keep what I'm doing? What else can make this go down?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Ouch! That looks painful. I can't imagine a tumor growing overnight? If it were my hen, I would aspirate with a needle to see if it is a pocket of infection. I would do that on a disinfectable surface away from the coop. If it drains, she will feel a whole lot better instantly. If not, you've ruled out a pocket of infection.
    This is a stretch, but have you ruled out eye worm?

3. LittleBrownie

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    Thank for the reply!
    How should I hold her down? She puts up fights and I don't want to poke her eye.

4. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope an expert replies. I'm sorry, I had to run into town. You'd need a helper for sure. A large syringe needle in you have one. Just give it a poke near the bottom of the swelling in case it does drain. you can google how to hold her still. I sure wish I could be more help.

5. LittleBrownie

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    You've been of great help for sure.
    Alright then I'll try it out tomorrow :)

6. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

How did things go with your hen?

7. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I know this thread is a month old but I would also like to know how your hen is doing. My silkie has the same exact problem. I've given her Duramycin in her water for a week, Terramycin eye ointment every day but it doesn't seem to help. My hen is really going down hill fast. I've had chickens for almost 13 years and never had a problem like this. I first thought it was a spider bite, maybe it is. Her face has a swollen tumor that's right under eye, causing her eye opening to virtually disappear. I opened her mouth and its brownish and swollen on that side but she's still eating and drinking. She's losing a lot of weight and now very lethargic. I don't think she will make it. I just wondered about your outcome.

8. tinasfinest

tinasfinest New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    Need help figuring out what is on this hen. Thought egg bound. Felt inside but dont feel egg. Is this a tumor? I just got hwr at auction where they were dumping her [​IMG]

9. Garjzla

Garjzla Overrun With Chickens

Nov 28, 2014
    Oregon
    You really need to get a vet. I know that it seems silly, since it's just a chicken, but that looks bad.

10. Garjzla

Garjzla Overrun With Chickens

Nov 28, 2014
    Oregon
    My game rooster had one of those once. In the same place, too. He got into a fight, and he got what I assume to be an infection. He then got into another fight, and I guess it just got popped, and he was fine.
    So, maybe you should pop it? That's all I know, from experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by