TUMOR ON BEAK SPREADING VIRUS WHAAAAT?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Coturnix Quail, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    HELP ME!! I'VE ALREADY STARTED A TOPIC ON THIS MAYBE A FEW MONTHS AGO, BUT NOW IM STARTING TO HAVE ISSUES. OK, so, I have almost a year old (YAY!) friendly coturnix female. A long time ago, she developed a strange looking pink think on top of her beak. Now its almost a light pink. I've had no issues with it, and it doesn't seem to be bothering her... But recently I've kept her in the basement with a few other quails around her giving her a break from those males, and she's been housed with another nice female... But I had a male near her, and maybe 2 or 3 weeks later, I saw a similar thing on his beak too. Ok, so I brushed that off and didn't think much of it. But now, she's in the garage with the same girl before, and when I was feeding them today, I wanted to let them run a bit since they are the nicest, and when I picked up the other female to let her out, I saw a bump like thingy that was forming. I got really scared it might be some virus thingy, but I didn't move her away from her because she gets very very lonely. WHAT DO I DO? I REALLY DO NOT WANT THIS THING TO SPREAD! HELP!!

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I remember responding and said I had a similar thing happen with my broody quail in the aviary. Hers was caused by pacing the hardware cloth during egg time because she wanted to go into the brush a few feet outside the aviary. I guess she wore down a bit of her beak and a scab grew? She's been inside the garage for the winter and I think it's gone but I'll look at her closely next time. Also have not noticed it on any of her three hutch mates.

Find a way to get a clear picture to share so we can give you more info. :)

3. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    It could be caused by some kind of impact as Binki said. I guess it could also be a polyoma virus or something, but even if it is, I wouldn't worry too much. Although they are contagious and hard to get rid of, polyoma viruses usually aren't serious. Could probably be many other things as well, but as the first one is still doing well and her entire head hasn't turned into a tumor, I'd not worry about it unless you intend to sell live birds.

4. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Okayy. :( It just looks really weird, and it hasn't gone away for a long time... I kinda don't want it to spread to the others because I want them to be normal looking, (not trying to be mean to my baby XD) so, is there a way to get rid of it? Thanks though, guys.. Especially for responding so quick and getting the worries off my mind an being here, helping me :)

5. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    No problem :)! Does she pace at egg time? Or any other times, hehe.

6. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    Do a little research on mites and see if you have any of the tell tale signs.

7. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    If it is a virus and you want to get rid of it, I'd isolate all birds affected and preferably those you suspect have been in contact with it as well (which might be all your birds - indirect contact from feeders, cages, your hands or your clothes could cause contamination as well), and then I'd just wait for them to become immune. This might be never, as sometimes they need quite high levels of the virus in their bodies before their immune system actually starts a proper response. This is also why I wouldn't start disinfecting cages and stuff (unless you are getting new birds that you don't want to catch it) - you actually want more virus in their environment, not less. Of cause this doesn't go for all viruses, but if this is a virus and it has neither killed any birds/made them sick nor been cleared by their immune systems yet, chances are it goes for this one.
    Alternatively you could go the expensive way, consult a vet, find out if it is a virus and what virus it is and if there is a vaccine against it that could be used in quail.

8. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Oh :( A vet will not be possible.. she doesn't really pace around that much.. I moved the other female into the dog cage with the others and she's all alone... I don't know what to do, it doesn't affect them but I don't want them all to get it :( here's pics [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I checked my girl, it's gone - was pink then turned dark into a scab I guess then has fallen off since not being in the aviary.

[​IMG]

If it is an abrasion, what feeder/waterer/wire were they all using/were in?

10. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, a little cup as water, and a long bowl like thing as a feeder. She wasn't on wire for a while now, just tissue. I noticed my males one has a scab.. Will it go away?

PS. Your female is gorgeous :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by