Tumor on neck of young chicken

shaw613

Songster
Oct 27, 2019
Northeast Colorado
I moved a group of CCL's this morning, and noticed a large tumor (about the size of a lemon) on the neck of a young cockerel. He feels fine ... and this must have come up quickly as I've not noticed it before. The mass is not really 'attached' to anything, and is firm. Any thoughts? Pics aren't great ... he was moving too much and my camera wouldn't focus :) It isn't his crop.

Attachments

• 402A4222.JPG
    402A4222.JPG
    282.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 402A4241.JPG
    402A4241.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 13
Sometimes tumours could be caused by mareks. Keep a look out for these symptoms: grey eye or misshapen pupil, neck paralysis, bumps on skin, wing paralysis, weight loss, leg paralysis and a collapsed crop. The main viruses, apart from Marek’s, are the avian leukosis/sarcoma viruses, plus squamous cell carcinoma (SCC). So, I wouldn't think the worst just yet.
@Eggcessive
Would I quarantine him? He and the other CCL group have been in a separate pen until just today .... wondering if they'll all come up with it if I don't move them back.

A leaking air sac would feel soft and puffy like air under the skin, but the OP says it is firm and has a scab. Laura from AU has covered the most common tumors. Sometimes an ingrown feather cyst can cause an abscess, which might be another possibility. I don’t think he needs ro be separated unless he is being picked on. If he dies later on, I would want to get a necropsy by the state vet to find out what type of tumor, and perhaps test for Mareks or Leukosis virus.

Sometimes tumours could be caused by mareks. Keep a look out for these symptoms: grey eye or misshapen pupil, neck paralysis, bumps on skin, wing paralysis, weight loss, leg paralysis and a collapsed crop. The main viruses, apart from Marek’s, are the avian leukosis/sarcoma viruses, plus squamous cell carcinoma (SCC). So, I wouldn't think the worst just yet.
@Eggcessive

Back
Top Bottom