Tumor on nostril

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by cowdogcadillac, Aug 3, 2010.

1. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    looked at my 6-8 week old royal palm turkey today and there is a semi hard brownish black growth just under the left nostril. I pressed on it and it didn't seem to give discomfort. About the size on a Pea right now but will have to take a closer look daily. Anyone seen tumors on them before? I had one like this on top of a Bronze that I put down after it became too ill to stand up over a 3 week period. The bird is separated from the rest now. It doesn't look like a healing injury(Not a scab,it's fleshy) though there has been a peck or two in the area

anyone?

[​IMG]

2. cowdogcadillac

Sep 23, 2009
    nobody has experienced this?

3. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    Don't know if this will help. About a month ago there was a post about a chicken, looked about the same but ended up being crusted dried up food, I think they dug it out. But it did look like that. Try a search.

4. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    Found it, look under "impacted nostril" see if you can get the pic's to come up.

5. cowdogcadillac

Sep 23, 2009
    nope definitely not impacted food,rocks etc..I did as they did in the post and soaked it with warm towels and it is a tumor of sorts. I scraped at it with a knife and it bled. She is developing one on her right eyelid too now. The other bird seem to have one on top of the beak where it meets the head. I don't know if these are Chernobyl birds or what.I will just monitor the growth ,hopefully it will not create a breathing problem or pain for the birds.Both birds from same breeder,same breeding. Never heard of growths being common to same breeding,or being contagious.

6. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    I found this "Pox - causes nobby lesions in featherless portions. Can be :wet" in mouth and esophagus, or "dry" externally only. (Pox in chickens is called fowlpox, and the pox viruses tend to be species-specific. Note: raptors can get pigeon pox.) Mosquitoes are biggest transmitters. In canaries, very fatal. Can vaccinate, but vaccinate only the specified species." This is from a word document at: www.yankeetoys.org/cruiserfj60/.../Poultry%20medicine%20review.doc and is from 1998.

I don't know anything about "Pox". Maybe you can do a google search.

7. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Pox was my first bet too. It starts out as a yellow cheesy look and can turn darker and scab. Have you had alot of misquitos lately where you are? Get rid of all standing water and quarentine. Wet pox is usually fatal, while dry pox usually isn't. The fact it's in the nostril suggests wet, I'm affraid.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I had that on some young turkeys I purchased in Mo. I treated with a fungicide for a couple of weeks & it cleared up.

9. cowdogcadillac

Sep 23, 2009
    what fungicide did you treat with?

10. cowdogcadillac

Sep 23, 2009
    Yup I think your diagnosis is spot on for Fowl pox. I ordered vaccine but it is progressing so rapidly on the second bird now that I'm glad I quarantined these two since the purchase of them 2 weeks ago. I've treated the lesions with iodine to slow it down but I don't know if it will be enough. I will vaccinate my separated flock . Surprising how quickly this has hit the birds. This forum is great and helped out immensely with the diagnosis. Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by