1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Tumor or abscess? I think tumor ...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Firefoot, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Firefoot

Firefoot Chirping

Jul 8, 2018
    Hi all. For those chickeneers more experienced than I, does this (first two pics) look like an abscess or a tumor?

Backstory: 18 week old (today) Faverolles pullet. Last Thursday I found her pecking a small lump on the back of her neck (last picture). I brought her in, pulled the feathers, lanced the lump but nothing happened, and kept her in for a day. Packed it with sugar, sprayed with blu-kote, she seemed plucky and fine the whole time and stopped being interested in the lump so I turned her back out with the flock. Checked her every couple days and the lump didn't do anything.

Fast forward to today, I checked her before I left but sometime between about 11AM and 3PM she started pecking this lump. The lump is easily twice the size since I last looked at her (Monday?). I had thought maybe it was a feather cyst/abscess but this doesn't look like an abscess to me. It seems more like a tumor (plus with how fast it's grown) as this isn't pus or infection, it's tissue. However, I don't have experience with abscess in chickens so I hope I'm wrong because if it's a tumor, I'm inclined to think it will kill her even if I heal the wound.

Anyone have any similar experience? Tell tale symptoms of tumor vs. abscess? Online research mostly shows internal chicken tumors, not big lumps like this.

She is in a crate, the wound is cleaned out, packed with sugardine, wrapped up, she's had nutridrench droppered into her and has drank water on her own but was not interested in food. Otherwise seemed only slightly less plucky than her usual self. I am fine to keep dressing the wound and getting her back on the road, but if this looks like a tumor to you, and it would be best to cull her, I would rather know sooner than later so she doesn't suffer.

Attached Files:

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more Premium Member Project Manager

Welcome to BYC.
    When you cut the lump open did it bleed?
    Nothing came out?

3. KikisGirls

4. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer Premium Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
  5. Firefoot

Firefoot Chirping

Jul 8, 2018
    Hi guys, thanks for the welcome, sorry if I was supposed to introduce myself first ><

When I cut it open, I made a very small cut and it bled some but not much. It was soft-ish, nothing else seemed to want to come out, and she seemed way more comfortable after feathers were pulled and it was packed -- no interest in pecking, let me do anything to it, lively and normal in every way.

6. KikisGirls

For some unknown (to me) reason I can't figure out how to zoom in on my computer...am I seeing pus here:
    Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 7.13.04 PM.png

7. KikisGirls

The now pictures...is it black like dying tissue or is that the color of the stuff you have put on it?

8. Firefoot

Firefoot Chirping

Jul 8, 2018
    This picture is from last Thursday. I don't think it's pus -- I think it's serum/betadine scrub/blood as I was in the middle of cleaning it up at that point. Unfortunately, I don't have more pictures of that day's lump.

9. Firefoot

Firefoot Chirping

Jul 8, 2018
    There is nothing on it in the new pictures so I think anything black must be dying tissue ... ? :'(

10. Tesumph

Tesumph Crossing the Road Premium Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Is the third photo from before you plucked and lanced it, and the first two photos are how it looks presently?

I would agree that this looks like a tumor, but I hope I am wrong. It looks like it ulcerated and turned nasty very fast after it was messed with, although I don’t blame you for trying to lance it. I would have done exactly the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: