Tumor !!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kyle E, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Kyle E

Kyle E Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Liberty, Pennsylvania
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Silver Laced Wyandotte hen, age not sure, 10 pounds?
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Normal, runs around eating.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Not sure just found it today.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Just the tumor.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I'm not sure.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Yes eats and drinks.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Yes, looks normal.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing, I don't know what to do?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Myself if there is something I can do.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I can't really get one.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Barn stall, hay for bedding, I have a dog crate for a house.

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Tumor is a bit vague, I have read here that chickens do not get liquid infection, theirs is solid and forms a lump. Do a search for bumble foot and look at those pictures. I would also try a search for 'infection'. Last year, a woman had a hen with an infection lump the size of an egg. Do a search with the words ''Chicken has egg in it's leg."
    I do don't know much about it, but hopefully this will send you in the right direction.
    Search is in the blue bar under the BYC banner at the top of this page. Good luck.

3. Kyle E

Apr 24, 2010
    Liberty, Pennsylvania
    Its on her chest though. Its probably about the size of an egg.

4. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:Umm, likely a very full crop [​IMG]

5. Kyle E

Apr 24, 2010
    Liberty, Pennsylvania
    I never did think of that shes my favorite chicken shes the one in my avatar but that might be.

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:X2 If you were to put her "face to face" to you which side of her chest is it on? If it is her left side, it is probably her crop. Best way to make sure is to check her tomorrow morning before they get down from the roost. The "tumor" should be gone because her crop is now empty. Hope that is all it is! [​IMG]

7. Kyle E

Apr 24, 2010
    Liberty, Pennsylvania
    face to face yes its on the left side, I hope its not a tumor.

8. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:Give it a squeeze. 10-1 you feel food in it.

9. Kyle E

Apr 24, 2010
    Liberty, Pennsylvania
    its the crop thank god

10. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    [​IMG] I am relieved for you! You are not the first to worry over it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by