1. feather13

feather13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2012
    southern california
    [​IMG]
    Today I noticed that my beautiful, friendly, healthy-seeming speckled sussex has a large tumor (?) on the left side of her breast. I can feel it under the skin and it's quite large. She is laying fine and appears healthy and happy. Is this something "normal"? It doesn't seem so to me, but I'm not sure what can be done. She's my favorite bird in the flock, so I'm especially sad [​IMG] Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Can you feel it? it looks like she ate too much. How long has she been this way?

3. redfishingirl

redfishingirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
  4. feather13

Sep 4, 2012
    southern california
    Thanks for your responses! I'm totally new to raising chickens, so any advice is very much appreciated!

When I went back out tonight to check on the chickens, I noticed that three have swollen/hard feeling chests. The sussex's is so huge I can't believe she can walk upright! I let them out for a few hours to graze in the yard, so maybe they ate too much? Will check on them again in the morning. All five are acting normal and they all laid today, so hopefully the swelling goes down overnight.

I have noticed in the past few days that some of the hens have been having runny stools. I wonder if this is a symptom of an impacted crop? None of the hens smell, as far as I can tell.

I saw on the link that many people give their hens yogurt and scrambled eggs. Others held their hens upside down and massaged the crops. Anyone have advice about something that's worked?

Thanks again!

5. Mason traveler

Mason traveler New Egg

Aug 29, 2012
    oregon city, oregon
    I have a naked neck who has the same issue. It will be large for a few days then seems to shrink a bit but never really goes away.

In fact I logged on tonight specificially to see if I could find some info on it. So far no luck, but haven't looked very much yet.

One of the reasons i wanted to find an answer is because i think I noticed the same thing on another hen..... Confusing isn't it!!!!

6. lilfarm

lilfarm New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    It does look like she has a full crop. The first time I noticed this on one of my chickens I was worried it was a tumor too. After doing some research I was relieved to know that it was just a full crop. It's nothing to worry about as long as it's not too hard and is shrunk down by morning.

7. feather13

Sep 4, 2012
    southern california
    Thanks for your messages! I've noticed that all of the hens have been getting swollen chests whenever I let them free range in the yard. Maybe the grass takes longer to digest? So hard to know if this is normal (it looks sometimes like they're going to tip over) or some problem like sour crop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by