Tumour? Cancer? Infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by miss_thenorth, Dec 17, 2010.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Does anyone have any ideas on what this is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At first we thought this was an infection. It was only slightly puffy when we noticed it, and we brought her in to separate her from the reast of the chooks inn case it was infectious (no other chickens are showing any thing like this). It's crusting on the left side. We've given her three days of penicillin, but no change, except to say it may have gotten slightly worse. She is eating and drinking, although it is with assistance, since she can't see out of the right eye, and the left eye is starting to get too swollen. She shakes her head alot, seems to lose her balance every so often, but other than that, she is fine. There is no discharge, except when you press on the swollen part, a bit of air bubbles will come out of her eye. She is not sneezing, she doesn't stink. Her poop was white and greenish, sorta normal looking, although today there were two poos that looked mor like the cecal poo (black and flat).

Any ideas? We are contemplating putting her down,but hought we would post this, to see if anyone might have a suggestion to see if there is anything else we might be able to do for her.

Thanks.

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Aww, the poor girl.. I hope someone has something to offer. I don't have a clue. Good luck.. [​IMG]

3. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Thanks. I'm hoping someone has some info too, as her time is running out. [​IMG]

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I used the search up above and most of what I read indicates your girl may have a chicken "cold".

Warm compresses on the swollen spots could give her a little relief. Giving her children's liquid Benadryl could also be of help.

5. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    See, I did a search too, and came up with nothing. She is not wheezing, not coughing, has no congestion. and we tried the penicillin. If it were any type of infection, would that not have gotten rid ot it?

6. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Also, we have been doing warm compresses since the start too, no results.

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    My guess, and that's all that it is, is that it's an infection in her sinuses. I have no idea how this should be treated. If she were mine, I'd rinse the area(s) in some warm colloidal silver and also put some in her water. I had a kitty with a horrible chronic sinus problem and the silver was the only thing that helped. Whatever it is, the colloidal silver shouldn't hurt her. I hope someone can give you a better remedy...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It may be something much more serious then.

I've seen the swollen chicken face problem somewhere else, and all I recall was it was a very serious condition, and it kept getting worse - more swollen, and the chicken was in apparent pain. The disease did have a name, but I can't recall what it was.

It could also be an infection from a peck and you need to use a stronger antibiotic. I also read that you can put triple antibiotic ointment not only around the eye, but right in the eye. I'd give that a try for a few days to see if it might improve any. If it continues to worsen, you may be facing something you can't fix.

I'm so sorry - for you and your chicken. I hate it so much when they suffer and we are helpless to make them get better.

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    when my roo had a sinus infection not as bad as your though the vet put him on duramycin for 2 weeks. It helped him . Swelling was gone in about 4 days.

10. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    We were giving her one cc of pen pro (Penicillin) daily. Can we go stronger than this? She is a bantam (silkie brahma cross)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by