Tuna!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tendriana, Mar 24, 2011.

1. tendriana

tendriana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Roseville, CA
    I was wondering, has anyone else fed their chickens tuna? I had a bit left over in a can, and I put a pinch in to the babies bowl. One gal pecked at a piece, and ran around the box screaming with glee, while the other two chased her around in circles, completely not noticing the tuna still left in their bowl. I've never seen them this excited about any other treat I've given them!!! I don't think there's a problem with tuna - just wanted to double check.

2. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    They eat frogs, salamanders, snakes and almost anything that can move. I suspect tuna is just fine.

Crab might be a little expensive, however.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  3. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    We call it chick rugby [​IMG] I have heard of others giving their chickens tuna , I never have but might make them a tuna casserole [​IMG]

4. tendriana

Feb 18, 2011
    Roseville, CA
    Frogs huh? My girls are gonna have a field day this summer - we have hundreds of wild tree frogs! Crab is reserved solely for me. [​IMG]

CHICK RUGBY!!! I LOVE IT! My uncle is the coach for the U.S. rugby team - I'm gonna have to tell him about Chick Rugby now! It describes it so well!

5. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I have given mine the part of the fish you clean out. They love it. If they can it that, tuna should be fine.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Tuna is also a nice treat & protein boost for chickens in and coming out of molt. [​IMG]

7. tendriana

Feb 18, 2011
    Roseville, CA
    Great, thanks everyone! (Tonight, more chick rugby for my entertainment!)

8. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    My girls LOVE tuna! They also love sardines....

9. PhoenixAngel429

PhoenixAngel429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    East KY
    Ours ate a the carcass of a deer my fiancee freshly skinned. :hmm I have seen one eat a mouse once too.

10. bamachickenfarmer

bamachickenfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    have seen mine playing rugby with frogs from the pond!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by