Tunnel hiding...Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cluckn Crazy, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    My 6 pullets are spending all their day inside the tunnel that connects the coop to the run. Can't figure out why they don't spend time elsewhere. Even when I open the run door to free range they come out for a few minutes then head for the tunnel. There are roosts in the run, since taking the pictures on my page, and everything is quite predator proof. Their tunnel is full of poop as we need to build a lid for easier cleaning. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    This time of the year my ladies start spending an awful lot of time on the "porch"--meaning lounging around just inside the chicken door--where they can see the outside but don't have to go out in the cold. It really gets to look like a bunch of old ladies rocking on a porch. Is it possible that that's what's going on here? If it is, there's not much to be done about it, since it's all about comfort and preference, though you might try coaxing them outside with some treats that are too good to pass up. Be sure to spread them around and make them work for it, force them to spend time out and about.

3. Cluckn Crazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    You're probably right...thank you for the comment!

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are hugging the inside of the pop door, we had a sudden drop in temp and some are finishing moulting. I get they will get bolder as they adjust...and get more feathers. And if they are at POL, they may want to be closer to the nests...any interest yet?[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If your tunnel has a low ceiling on it, they could be "hiding" and feel safe there vs out in the open if your yard doesn't have much brush cover or tables/chairs to hang out under.

6. Cluckn Crazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    You're right, they're definately missing hiding spots. I was thinking about changing the look of their run - adding more roosts and some haybales for winter cover. Thank you.

7. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Is their tunnel covered?

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Also, it has been cold overnight most of the last week and they may have decided that if the ground is frozen (pointy and cold on their nekkid feeties) it must *always* feel like that even later in the day when they don't bother to test it b/c they didn't like it first thing in the morning. So in addition to adding some cover objects in the run, it might also (if the ground *is* bare earth or mud or suchlike) be worth chucking in some dead leaves or straw or that sort of thing.

And then if necessary chase or manually relocate the silly birds out there, so that they can FIND OUT that they like it. Putting a dish of food out there can also be additional enticement.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

9. Cluckn Crazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    It is inside the shed attached to a smaller coop. There are less then great pictures of it on my page. It's framed then covered with hardware cloth and a wood bottom from shelving material. Here's one, it's on the right of the coop:

[​IMG]

They love it in there!?!

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Wait, just checking... have they *ever* spent significant time in their run? And if not, how long has it been?

It's pretty common for chickens not to leap for the chance to be outdoorsy, when raised in a brooder or shed and then later presented with Nature In All Her Splendor (Behind Hardware Cloth). Quite often it takes as much as a week or two, and/or manually locking them out there for a few hours at a time with some entertaining food, for them to learn that outdoors is actually fun.

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by