Tunnel Nests

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JeffKlapper, Jan 30, 2009.

1. JeffKlapper

JeffKlapper Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2009
    I'm designing my first coop and searched for "tunnel nests". I wanted to see what folks with experience with this type of nest had to say and got one result, which was a another question about anyone using tunnel nests. Out of 18,000 + members of BYC is it possible that no one uses tunnel nests? They seem so logical and have a pretty long history - anyone out there with experience with this style of nest?

Thanks
    Jeff

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I've never heard of them so I will paying attention to this thread!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've never heard of them either.

4. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    me too neither !! Now I'm curious. What the heck is a tunnel nest?[​IMG]

5. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Too busy to research. I'll wait for Jeff to educate us about "tunnel nests."

Wayne

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  7. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    [​IMG] Here I thought I was finally learning most things ? Can't even find it online ? Did a google to.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009
  8. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Just Googled Tunnel Nests. Interesting concept. I don't know why it would't work. Maybe it would keep the girls fm setting on top of eachother at one nest box. [​IMG] Though, I have a few girls who just scream at any other girl getting anywhere NEAR her particular nest while she's waiting to lay. [​IMG]
    Good luck with the tunnel nest, Jeff. Let us know how it works out. I'd be interested to find out if there is less contention while laying or not.

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i just read something on here the other day about them,, i think the tunnel was 6ft. long, and could accommodate like 60 or so hens laying in it ( at different times)

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Wouldn't a 5 gallon bucket with a hole cut in the lid do the same thing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by