1. turbo13

turbo13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    COEUR D'ALENE IDAHO
    Hi Need To Make Or Buy A Tunnel .it Needs To Run From Pop Door To Enclosed Run.about 10'to 12'can I Use A Dog Tunnel,the Ones You See Dogs Run Through On Tv.I Found Some On Amazon.looks Good.but Not Good For Snow Loads.any Ideas? Thanks

2. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    can you build one? You know, out of lumber and hardware cloth? Maybe hinge the top (will need locks) for if you need to get in there. Or does it need to be light weight/temporary? You could wrap it in poly to keep the snow out.
    I don't know what the dog tube is made out of, but I would be afraid that it wouldn't be strong/predator proof enough. [​IMG]

Or how about a foodgrade 55 gallon plastic drum, cut to whatever length you need? That's pretty strong and the snow will slide right off.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Check with your local road dept. for a used culvert? [​IMG]

4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    how about barrels nailed together? or wood with hardware cloth and then a tarp nailed on?

5. turbo13

turbo13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    COEUR D'ALENE IDAHO
    Hi All. Thanks For The Suggestions,all Good Ideas.let U Know. Jim

6. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

My husband made a "tunnel" out of hardware cloth to connect our coop & run...its only about 4" though, enough that the chicken go right down the ladder into the run. Its worked beautifully for 4 months now..

7. animalover

animalover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA
    This is the tunnel we made so the girls could get from the coop to the run. After this picture was taken, the hardware cloth was secured by wooden strips around the sides. The pop door is opened by a rope on the outside that runs through a hole in the wall, through a pulley to the top of the pop door on the inside. It works really well! The chain link was cut and attached back to itself, and the hardware cloth was attached to the chain link with hog rings.
    [​IMG]

(I don't know why the pic uploaded sideways - sorry).

8. Fiwi

Fiwi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Maryland
    How about building something like this. You could the top with clear corrugated roofing sheets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by