Turken badly wounded.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Moochie, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    My mom found Skippy's girlfriend (turken pullet) outside our fence in bad shape. She is missing almost all of her feathers on her back and rump, has small bite marks, missing skin, and is scared out of her life.
    We brought her inside and applied triodine-7 and corn starch over the wounded areas. She is staying in an enclosure with food and water. She is eating and drinking. She seems off though, traumatized off.
    I know it was not a raccoon, weasel, mink, fox, etc. I am in the desert and have not seen any of these creatures. It is possible, but unlikely.
    These neighbors have been letting their grey cat roam around though. I also occasionally see a german shepard mix and a husky mix coming from their house and wandering on others' yards. Just plain rude.
    Whatever this was it must have chased her out of my yard, over a 4 foot fence, but didn't kill her? I don't believe a dog would be so agile.. Wouldn't a coyote kill her and run off with her? So a cat??
    And what else can I do for her?

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quiet comfy place, all her creature comforts close at hand. Shock is her biggest enemy initially. Electrolytes for shock (poultry electrolytes and if not available, Pedialtye or Gatorade will do in a pinch - spritz some on a favorite treat, e.g. watermelon). Refrigerate unused amounts of these products. If you have or can get Rescue Remedy (a Bach flower remedy), a drop or two in her water may relieve some of the stress. Whoever she has bonded with the most should be with her for at least a few hours to comfort her/say every reassuring thing possible to get her through the shocky period. If she has a best buddy, you can have that buddy with her (not unattended though, unless absolutely certain buddy won't peck at the injured spots).

Before long she will probably have pain. This can cause her to stop eating and drinking. Pain relief will be very welcome. If she's not actively bleeding and you don't suspect internal injury you can make aspirin water available to her. 1 baby aspirin (81mg) per cup of her drinking water, changed out twice daily if possible. If she stops drinking readily, you can dunk little pieces of her favorite fruits in the aspirin water and hand feed to her to hopefully begin to take the edge off her pain and thus make her inclined to eat and drink on her own. Topical antibiotic (e.g. neosproin) may do the trick for infection, so long as she doesn't have deep puncture wounds. If she does, she may also need oral or injectible antibiotic - something more systemic.

I hope she'll be okay. It will take some time but it is amazing what they can recover from.Please keep us posted.
    JJ

3. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Oh thank you.
    Right now she's in a dog crate with food and water. She layed an egg in there 0.o Anyways does anyone think a cat did this? And mods please move the thread if ya need to, I just realized the topic title and everything. So some gatorade and baby aspirin, would I mix those two together in her water?

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Try giving her the electrolytes spritzed on some kind of fruit treat so that it's ingested right away - you don't know when she'll drink and it's important to arrest shock asap. Otherwise, in water is probably okay though I don't know that I've ever read anywhere whether there is a problem with aspirin and electroltyes comingled.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by