Turken cannibalism

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brbg7, Jun 24, 2016.

1. brbg7

brbg7 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2015
    I have 6 turkens that are 6 months old and they are eating each other. They pick each other's tail feathers then eat all the insides of the victim. I cant find any reasons they are doing this. They have full time access to food and water, live in a 12x12 coop with a 40x20 run. How can I stop this? And how can I prevent it in the future?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Have you seen them doing this? To me that sounds more like the work of a predator.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Sounds like the work of a predator to me, too. Can you post some pics of your setup? We may be able to spot some weak spots or potential entry points for chicken hungry critters.

4. brbg7

brbg7 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2015
    I'm pretty sure it's the chickens and not a predator because I have seen them pick each others tail feathers. Also my neighboring coops have had zero casualties. I have found two turkens with missing feathers and bloody tails so I put blue-kote on them and the others haven't picked on them since... They just found somebody else to pick on. [​IMG]

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Feathering picking does not usually lead to killing and eating flock members. It's a predator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by