turken chick with protuding belly button

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LAturkens, Jun 19, 2008.

1. LAturkens

LAturkens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have a question ,one of my turken chicks had to be rescued ,so I helped it hatch,but it hatched with what it seems a protuding belly button . will this chick recover and live a normal life? Thanks.

2. duckman

duckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    michigan
    i had a duck do the same thing where he didnt take in everything he lived for two days then he just died [​IMG]
    i would leave him in the incubator though dont take hm out
    hopefully he will stay with us [​IMG]

duckman

3. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    The protruding belly button is likely the yolk sack. I have 2 chicks in the bator that hatched like that and I have them wrapped in a warm wet cloth to keep things moist. Hopefully it will absorb and your chick will survive. My last hatch, I had a few like that as well, and I did the same thing and they lived. How long has your chick been in the bator like that? If it's been awhile you may need to give it some water by a syringe so it doesn't get dehydrated and weak.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Sprinkling Aeromycin powder on the belly of a chick born with a raw navel can help it heal. It provides antibiotic help without keeping the wound soft and raw, so that as chick moves around it is less likely to reinjure it.
    I've moved such chicks into the brooder fairly soon to get them off incubator's wire flooring. Sometimes I've held the chick a while by brooder lamp while powder and warmth helped dry the navel, before putting the chick on brooder floor.
    *Clean*, soft flooring is important. I use 2 inches of pine shavings covered by frequently changed paper towels.
    If you use paper towels, ones made without a lot of bleaching (such as earth-friendly brands, or economy brands that look a little dingey and grayish) will be gentler on the chick's skin than bright white paper towels.

5. LAturkens

LAturkens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Thanks everybody, looks like the chick lost all of the yolk sac,but is doing well. I'm feeding it raw egg yolk whit a serynge one drop at a time.

6. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    That is a wonderful (and very logical) idea! Sounds like just what would help a chick in the situation. I will store the idea for future reference myself. Thanks! And I'm glad your chick has such a caring and resourceful owner [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by