Turken chickens.

TheSillyDingo

Chirping
Jun 9, 2018
I've got these 2 young turkens, and my gut feeling is that they are BOTH males... The dark one has green shine to it's feathers, which I've only ever seen in roos. Also it seems like the backside has saddle feathers but then again I think I see that on the red one. They are about 3 months old.... Also they've spent their entire lives with Cheeseburger (the silkie hen), should they both be rooster...what are the chances they all live happy together?
babyvoltures.jpg
babyvoltures2.jpg

The mostly-black bird is female as she has gender-specific plumage colouring in her breast and wing. I believe the red is also female due to the small pale comb.

I would not keep two cockerels with only one hen. Generally 8-12 is a good number of hens for one cockerel, and in a flock with multiple cockerels, hens can become over-bred or injured.

The mostly-black bird is female as she has gender-specific plumage colouring in her breast and wing. I believe the red is also female due to the small pale comb.

I would not keep two cockerels with only one hen. Generally 8-12 is a good number of hens for one cockerel, and in a flock with multiple cockerels, hens can become over-bred or injured.
So the green sheen color to the dark one isn't a sign of a rooster? I've not ever met a hen that had it. I was actually hoping for one rooster hahahaha.

They both look like pullets to me. And if they are 3 months old, they about have to be pullets. 3 month old cockerels would have much more comb and wattle development. And would have much redder combs and wattles. If they are cockerels "I don't think they are" then they are very slow developing.

So the gender specific plumage on the dark one... what am I looking for

Were she male, I would expect a red bar across the upper wing and red tones descending down the back. I would also expect a black breast in a male, whilst hers is golden. Most notable is the wing and back, where you see the pale feather shafts; I would hazard that this is a result of her having e+ wildtype (duckwing), hiding behind probably birchen, possibly extended black; in a duckwing male, this trait is not present due to the distribution of groundcolour along the back.

I also say both are pullets. Here are pictures of both my Naked Neck cockerels at 5 weeks and another picture of my black Naked Neck at 3 months old. In the last picture you can see my little NN pullet at 4 months in the middle of all the action. The boys show quite a bit of difference to yours, wouldn’t you say?

Pretty Boy Floyd at 5 weeks
8A211EDC-8D02-4820-BE0D-4B129D38123C.jpeg

Boris at 5 weeks
E0BD9658-39E0-414F-A1DF-4CB4440D8B1D.jpeg

Boris at 3 months
A6D7289A-526D-44A5-B81D-327AF5E2C568.jpeg

Miss Biggles at 4 months
8223CA73-4D97-49C8-8503-B83980A38EFE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom