Turken cut on neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by N&MSchroeder, Apr 2, 2011.

1. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Okay, I went to the feed store today and looked at the chicks. I picked out a couple that had pasty butt (The worker tried to put these in a separate box since they were contagious) [​IMG] I also selected a Turken chick that I thought had been pooped on. She was being pecked at, but didn't seem to be in too bad of shape. When I got home and started the clean up, it wasn't poop, but dried blood. She has a pretty major gash on that little naked neck. I cleaned up part of her neck, but left a bloody piece of hanging skin alone. I have to admit that I wasn't prepared for this kind of emergency, and don't have bluekote or anything like that on hand. I did put some neosporin on the cut. She is in a brooder with 4 other chicks. They have pecked her a couple of times, not necessarily at the bloody spot, but more at the matted area from the clean up and neosporin application. They don't like it and immediately wipe their beaks after pecking her. She is tired, but has ate and drank. Any suggestions? I am able to monitor her today, but am worried about leaving her with the other chicks tonight. They are all sleeping in a huddle as I write this. [​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Due you have any BlueKote you can put on it. Besides its medication purpose it changes the color and then the others don't pick.

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I don't have bluekote but can go back to the feed store and pick some up. What color does it change to? blue? The cut is on the open skin of her neck and she is pale yellow.

4. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    If you are worried for tomarrow perhaps you could also p/u from the store another waterer/feeder just a little one and put up a small divider in the brooder so everyone can still see each other and won't get lonely put the other chicks will have no chance to pick at her wound until fully healed. Can put a stuffed animal in there for her to cuddle for added warmth since she would be by herself "technically". Just be sure everyone can get under and out from the heat. Good luck, sounds like she found the right home [​IMG] Super nice of you to specifically pick chicks in need of extra care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by