Turken pullet suddenly developed?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My turken pullet Ivy is 16, nearly 17 weeks old. Yesterday evening I was just thinking that she would be my first turken to lay because her little comb - all an eight of an inch of it - was really turning red. That's all she had, 1/8" red comb. No wattles to speak of.

This morning I go to check on them and Ivy's comb has sprouted up to about a 1/2 an inch and she suddenly has wattles.
What gives?
If I didn't know better I'd think that the nestbox I added day before yesterday had something to do with it. All the girls are showing interest in the box, but I know they are still to young to know what to do with it.

And yes, Ivy is definitely a SHE.

Illia

Crazy for Colors
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Forks, WA
When they go through that sudden sprout, that's telling you she's ready.
smile.png
She may have already begun somewhere, or will begin within the next few days. I have an Ameraucana who's comb, I swear, suddenly grew and went red the moment she jumped in the nesting box. She turned around, and viola. . . Bright red. The morning before, it was just a dull blackish blue colored.

Loddie Da

Songster
13 Years
Jan 14, 2007
Troy, New York
I'v also had this happen before with a Turken (aswell as with a few other breeds) in just about 4 hours a nearly flat comb grew to 3/4", She started to lay 4 days later HUGE eggs...Then after about a month of jumbo eggs they became a more normal size. My girl like to wait until I picked her up or pet her to lay...very odd bird.

My guess is in the next 2 weeks or so you should be getting eggs from her.

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Thanks y'all. Looking at each of the birds individually today I think it's going to be a race between Ivy the turken and Dixie the speckled sussex to see who can lay an egg first.

Top Bottom