Turken pullet suddenly developed?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My turken pullet Ivy is 16, nearly 17 weeks old. Yesterday evening I was just thinking that she would be my first turken to lay because her little comb - all an eight of an inch of it - was really turning red. That's all she had, 1/8" red comb. No wattles to speak of.

This morning I go to check on them and Ivy's comb has sprouted up to about a 1/2 an inch and she suddenly has wattles.
What gives?
If I didn't know better I'd think that the nestbox I added day before yesterday had something to do with it. All the girls are showing interest in the box, but I know they are still to young to know what to do with it.

And yes, Ivy is definitely a SHE.

When they go through that sudden sprout, that's telling you she's ready.
smile.png
She may have already begun somewhere, or will begin within the next few days. I have an Ameraucana who's comb, I swear, suddenly grew and went red the moment she jumped in the nesting box. She turned around, and viola. . . Bright red. The morning before, it was just a dull blackish blue colored.

I'v also had this happen before with a Turken (aswell as with a few other breeds) in just about 4 hours a nearly flat comb grew to 3/4", She started to lay 4 days later HUGE eggs...Then after about a month of jumbo eggs they became a more normal size. My girl like to wait until I picked her up or pet her to lay...very odd bird.

My guess is in the next 2 weeks or so you should be getting eggs from her.

Thanks y'all. Looking at each of the birds individually today I think it's going to be a race between Ivy the turken and Dixie the speckled sussex to see who can lay an egg first.

Back
Top Bottom