Turken Rooster and Bantam Hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spleenpirate, Dec 12, 2016.

1. spleenpirate

spleenpirate New Egg

Dec 12, 2016
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to chicken raising and need some advice. About 3 months ago I was given a baby chicken (female), or so I was told and that baby chicken turned out to be a turken Rooster 0.0. Now a little more than 3 months have passed and he crows and everything, and he's been doing great by himself actually. But I feel like I should get him some lady company. Here's the issue I'm having, the area where my Rooster roams is about the size of 4 bedrooms approximately, and is a pavemented area so I regularly have to sweep and mop. I was thinking of maybe bringing home a couple of Bantam hens, but I've been reading that it might not be a good idea because they are much smaller in size. My turken Rooster is about 4 lbs at the moment. The reason I wanted to get Bantams is because they are smaller and I would have to clean less. Or should I get a couple of regular hens? I need advice please! I love my little turken and don't want him to be unhappy. Help!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

It's not really advisable to get bantam hens for a standard cock, as he may in fact injure them. Especially as Naked Necks are a somewhat heavy breed.

While he will definitely need some company - chickens are very social creatures and often don't do well when raised alone - I would recommend you look into moving the bird's run. Concrete doesn't allow them to partake in natural behaviors like dustbathing and often causes health issues such a bumblefoot in birds housed on it. They should really be on a mainly dirt floor run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by