Turken : Rooster or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by undrcroft, Nov 12, 2013.

1. undrcroft

undrcroft New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    Nashville, Tn
    Hello, new to the site and I need some expert opinions. I've added 6 new 'hens' to my flock, but not sure about one of them being a hen. Its a turken and I dont have any others for comparison. It has grown really fast, the size and color of the comb on top is a bit worrying, but I've seen females online with big pointy combs on top. I want to keep 'her' but I need to know if I need to find 'him' a good home. Thanks
    Update: the age should be around 8-9 weeks. I put 2 Rhode Islands next to it for comparison. All the other birds still have little yellow combs. They are all around the same age.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] How old is the bird? How does the comb development compare to others of the same age. Sure can't go by hackle feathers[​IMG]. General appearance is that of a young cockerel.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

The feathers look really strange on this bird. Seems stringy.

I agree we need the age.

4. undrcroft

undrcroft New Egg

Nov 12, 2013
    Nashville, Tn
    Update: the age should be around 8-9 weeks. I put 2 Rhode Islands next to it for comparison. All the other birds still have little yellow combs. They are all around the same age.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'd say it's a male, but I'm not 100% certain.. My NN single comb boys were much more developed way earlier, but the girls were not this developed until over 16 weeks.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Probably a cockerel. Post some more photos in a few weeks for another opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by