Turkens and NN's gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by silkieboxerluv, Apr 30, 2008.

1. silkieboxerluv

silkieboxerluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    How do you tell? Wait for someone lay an egg or crow?

2. silkieboxerluv

Mar 28, 2008
    COuld someone just tell me where to read up on this!

3. menkot

menkot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    Well, my boy developed a comb really early. My hen did not. Hers came in a couple of weeks later. His comb and wattles also started pinking up fairly quickly... I think about a month old. Hers did not. It was a little easier with two to compare. He is also a little bigger and sturdier looking than she is. Hope that helps!

4. silkieboxerluv

Mar 28, 2008
    So I should be comparing my combs-1 has a bigger comb then the rest but they all have some form of a comb. Oh and one Turken is gigantic compared to the other. Hen and rooster? Does size matter?[​IMG]

5. menkot

menkot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    I would watch the wattles too. My boys wattles got big and pink really soon. My girl still has almost non-existent wattles. This is not 100% but it gives you a good guess. Watch their behavior as they get older. The roos will start crowing and acting "roo-ish" You should know well before one lays an egg. [​IMG]

6. jmhappycowboy

jmhappycowboy The Egg Wrangler

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    watch their combs, and wattles as said, and their size lots of times you can go by that but not always I have a couple of pullets here that are outgrowing the boys. Also if you have any pics post them and there are several people here who will be more than happy to help you guess what is what.

James

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by