1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkens have turned out surprisingly to be one of my favs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flowerchild59, Jan 28, 2011.

1. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I purchased 30 chicks last may that were all brown egg layers from MM. The were all sexed properly and I have at least 9 different breeds. I received 4 buffs and one black turken. I didn't think I liked them at first but my 5 are amazingly friendly, quite talkative and lay really large eggs compared to the other breeds I have. It seems two of them are getting broody. Are your turkens on the broody side??
    Which breed did you raise that you didn't like at first but now is one of your favs????

2. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    I got my Naked Necks this year because DH thought they were cool. I have Oakley and his 5 Annies, one girl is black and the others that red buff color. I have one girl that is giving me her pullet egg and the others are getting even redder in the face, so I suspect I will have dozens of little eggs soon. They are really such sweeties, and yes they are talkers. I did a wing trim a couple days ago, and they practically purred when I rubbed their combs, wattles and necks with the Bag Balm. I am going to cross them w/ Delawares, hoping they have the stronger personality. I hope to get a heavier meat bird from the cross.

I have most liked the birds I have gotten, but I have a short but growing list of not again, with Barred Rock at the top. I will decide on the Delawares by the end of summer, but so far I'm not impressed and I have found the Silkies a disappointment. At 15 wks, the 3 that have survived are good sized birds, nearly as large as BAs. I am hoping that one is a girl, or otherwise I will have crosses for my broodies. Will wait and see.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Quote:It is so weird that you talk about crossing them with a Delaware. I have some in the incubator right now. My NN's are partridge color and daddy is a beautiful Delaware roo. Im wondering what color NN I will get out of this mix. They are due to hatch Februaury 10th. I love my NN's I only have 2 Nadia and Natasha. They lay nice size eggs and lay very well.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I love my four turkens that I got in June. I have three pullets and one cockerel. The cockerel, Impy, is turning out to be a great little roo. He takes care of his girls, comes running if any of them holler and, my favorite part, he refuses to enter the coop at night until all the girls are in.
    My favorite girl of the turkens is named Ivy. She's black with gold lacing on her bowtie and chest. Beautiful girl, plus she's already laying good-sized pink eggs that are always very shiny, like they've been polished.

ETA: I have a turken/easter egger cross in the bator that is trying its best to hatch right now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Are turkens good brooders/mother hens?

6. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I went out this morning and the buff turken is still acting broody. If she keeps it up I may separate her and give her some fertile eggs and see what she will do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by