Turkens in the winter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BlueEggs4Life, Dec 10, 2011.

1. BlueEggs4Life

BlueEggs4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    West Michigan
    This will be my first winter with Turkens (2 hens) They are actually polish turkens so they do have feathers on the top of their heads but the whole face and neck area are exposed skin. I'm a bit worried about them and wonder if anyone with experience knows if there is something special I should do for them. I'm in Michigan and it gets very cold and lots of snow... my coop is un-heated as many suggest on here. It's been getting down to about mid-20's right now, and so far no snow and their skin has turned very red... is this normal? maybe apply bag balm or something to the skin? Should I make them little chicken scarves or something? lol. Any input is appreciated.

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Dont be. Turkens are cold hardy. While it looks cold they do well in the winter.

3. BlueEggs4Life

BlueEggs4Life Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    West Michigan
    Great, thanks for the reassurance [​IMG]

4. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    you'll be surprised to know that they can do real good in the cold.

they don't need anything special, just do as you would with the others.

as a matter of fact they would do so good that they will be laying eggs during winter.

are they of laying age?

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Turkens are very cold hardy. I used to have them and that's part of what I loved about them. They are a great dual purpose breed, often undercooked. Lay lots of big eggs. Gentle, heat and cold hardy. Hardy to just about everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by