TURKENS - Why would two of my turkens....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gritsar, Sep 19, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    have green legs? I have two turkens that are standard colors, buff and red and have the standard yellow legs. I also have two that are not - one is black with beautiful gold lacing on her bowtie and one is a deep mahogany red with black lacing on her body and her face looks like she is wearing eyeliner. These two have GREEN legs. How would that happen? [​IMG] They are hatchery quality and beautiful.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Because they're not true Turken/Naked Necks. Just about ALL hatcheries crossbreed them to whatever, as the naked neck is a dominant gene. A real Turken should be solid white, black, or buff in color. Any other color shows crossbreeding.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks so much! I don't mind that they aren't true bred, as I think they are adorable.
    I'm curious as to whether the green legs mean they've been mixed with easter eggers and could possibly lay green or blue eggs? That would be awesome!
    They are only 14 weeks old now, so the anticipation is building.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Do they have pea combs? If not, then no.

I've got a Polish (black) X EE (slate) and a New Hampshire (yellow legs) X Marans (black/pink legs) who both have green legs, but neither of their parents do, so EE's and Araucanas aren't the only ones to produce such. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:No, they have single combs. Dang! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by