Turkens

I have one! She is super sweet- looks like a buzzard, not too loud...cold hardy, and is dumb enough to go broody (now) in the middle of the cold winter time.

Our girl is a food addict. She's really very sweet, though. One of the most social birds, and the disposition just makes me want to get more. Very active, but when food time is over, she becomes docile and roosts in the coop. I'd like to get more this year. They are absoloute characters, they are.
smile.png

I just bought two red turken hens yesterday. Those are some big girls! Calm as far as I can tell. I heard they're good layers. I guess we'll see. I'm going to cross mine on my silkie rooster and try breeding show girls this year.

I love, love, LOVE my naked necks. They are sweet and good layers of nice sized eggs, one lays a tinted egg and the other lays a dark brown egg. Mine have bow ties and I like the way they look, If I could only have one breed, my naked necks just might be that breed!

My favorite also. Ditto on having only one breed, they would be it.
smile.png

I have been occasionally considering getting a batch from hatchery or from someone.. my ideal would be large, heavy size and laying BIG eggs. My very first one was a hen from McMurray over 20 years ago, she was very big, heavy, very sweet and laid giant eggs(could not close egg carton over her eggs). Got a few from another hatchery a few years ago, they were not as big and they laid small eggs(?!)..

I raise Red bantams. They do not show very well since they are in the single comb clean leg class, but the males like to crow. I had one that place fourth straight years in the rooster crowing contest at the Missouri state fair - won me over $100.
smile.png

They lay like a RIR, but are better mothers. My crower, who placed four twice and fifth twice was named "Cocky-did-a-do-do". Cocky has since past and is now in the great chichen yard in the sky. The picture is of his son. I have several of his offspring running around. As a matter of fact, every naked neck I have is from his loins.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom