Turkens!!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Nupine, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    We have a turken trio, they are hatchery birds but they look quite nice. Does anyone else have turkens? I have a few questions. I did a little web surfing on them and a web page said they lay about 2 medium size eggs a week! Mine just started laying and are laying a huge egg everyday. They must be talking about the wrong turkens. Do yours lay well? I read that if they have a tuft on their neck that they are not purebred, is that true? Also, I plan on showing mine at a local show that averages 1000 birds this March. Mine are not a solid color, they are a reddish buff and black, Will that affect them? Thanks!! Ashlyn

2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    My Turken hen is a broody egglaying machine!

3. maralpz2006

maralpz2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    mississippi
    i have 9 turkens hens, and 3 of them lay a huge very big eggs,and i have 2 turken roosters

4. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    My Turken roo was very violent and had to be rehomed. Loved people just not other roosters!

5. Hi!
    Welcome to the world of Naked Necks!
    They *should* be very hardy and great egg layers (6 eggs per wk).

The tuft on the neck means they have one copy of the N (Naked neck) gene (Heterozygous).
    No tuft means they have 2 copies of the N gene (homozygous).

Naked Neck-ism is fun and easy trait to breed for because it is dominant (you can only get naked necks by breeding naked neck x naked neck or naked neck x in a cross).
    And you can see at hatch if the chicks are carrying N (because they are naked neck).
    I'm a great fan of Naked Necks [​IMG]

Lisa

1 person likes this.
  6. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Dipsy you said Naked Neck 9 times!

7. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    i have one that i got in a bunch of chicks from the auction. i thought something was wrong with it at first but then i went to a local poultry show and they had some there. I don't know if mine is a hen or rooster, but it does have a tuff on the front of its neck. i read they are very good egg layers.

8. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have a pair and will be getting more this spring...I love the naked necks too and they are adorable. as you can tell by my avatar...thats my Blondie girl...she is a sweetheart and I have a roo named Frosty he is white. She lays a large egg maybe 2 to 3 time a week and with it getting lighter she will be increasing. I think they are Great birds and cant wait till she wants to set some too...

9. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    iam jealous i want a whit one [​IMG]

10. Hawkster318

Hawkster318 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2007
    North Freedom Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Count Turkula (r.i.p.)

You either love them or hate them I think. We have a trio, twin hens with tufts and a replacement younger Roo. we are looking forward to hatching some out when things warm up a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by