Turkey acting strange ((updated with pictures))

cgjsmith

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2007
tennessee
Hi all one of my Royal Palm ??? (we think Tom) Is acting weird. he just lays on the ground. I picked him up looked at his legs and feet and didn't see a problem. When i set him down I didn't see an obveous limp but he used his wings spread towards the ground to balence himself and then just ploped down. I isolated him and put some tetramyacin in his water to ward off an infection. The only thing I could thing of is my gander might have reached in and piched him (they were not happy to share the field with the turkeys (the turkeys are in the hoop house until they see it as home.) The gander I have is just a temporary gander until I get another pilgram gander and he is mean!! Any insight would be healpful. Crystal

DSCF0033.jpg
DSCF0030-1.jpg
DSCF0031-1.jpg
DSCF0035.jpg

Last edited:
How's the turkey doing today? Is this the only one you have? How old is the turkey?
I have a hen that would just sit down. When I walked up to her she would purr at me. So I went and bought a Tom. Problem solved.

I found huge scabs on the back of his well I guess it would be called knees, I'm afraid since we have three toms two younger (like last year) and a almost two year old and one hen (was suppose to be two hens and two toms) they are fighting. I've still got him isolated and giving him antibiotics. Will wait and see how it goes. I really want more hens but no one wants to sell. Crystal

How old is the turkey? Are you sure it's a tom? If it's a hen, she may just be behaving like that because it's mating season. The hens get weird and floppy sort of.

Its either a yearling or two years not sure. No I'm not sure its a hen ha ha (see above post) but it tries to gobble. it is limping pretty bad though. I saw our hen when she laid an egg and the wobbling is a little different I'll get a picture tomorrow. C

Ah, so they're sparring (not the goose, then?). Three is a tough number of toms (what we have) as they tend to form alliances and the odd tom out gets whipped. Will check tomorrow for the pics.

I had just two hens until a few days ago. Before I bought a tom one of the hens would strut around like a tom. I thought that was strange. They are most likely ganging up on the older bird. Can't wait for the picture.

Looked at shots: Do your toms spar with one another in the same area where there are concrete blocks or other hazards? He might have either come down on a block, or something else, while attempting to kick one of his buddies (less likely he was pushed into something by said buddies). I'm just guessing from the position of the abrasions/lacerations? above the ankles. If he's not getting worse just give him some aspirin and don't allow the sparring (they can spend serious quality time, seperated by even a temp. fence, posing, chuffing, and trilling, but no eye gouging, high kicking, snood ripping fun will come of it).

Back
Top Bottom