Turkey age and cooking question

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Willowbrook, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    With chickens, if they are not butchered when young, the older they get they basically become stewing birds or soup chickens.
    Does this theory apply with turkeys that have been around for several years?

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    No. We have cooked birds that are many years old. Cook them slowly in the oven and they taste wonderful! Make sure it is a low temperature and you leave them there for along time.

3. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    Thank you. I asked the question because I have a BBB that is several years old and she is getting so large that I fear her legs may not hold her much longer. Not going to do anything at this point, but wanted the info in case her legs gave out.

4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    That happens easily on the Broad Breasted.

5. todd walker

todd walker Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    E TX,Mabank
    I raise 6 turkeys last year( wbb) 5 were eaten between 5-7 months,one was really cool so was going to keep as a pet but becuse of his breed,his legs were going out so he headed to freezer camp he was huge 47lbs.But he was the best tasting turkey I've ever had,he was in the pen at nite but free ranged during the day,and the funny thing is my dogs did not kill him.
    (note to self get another turkey)
    6 hours in the smoker,sad thing friends stop by and only cooked one brest,no leftovers...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by