Turkey and ducks sitting on their eggs plus chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ametauss, Dec 31, 2008.

1. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    This is really a mess..... I had a hen laying on her stash of eggs under the coop and I moved them to inside the coop. She wanted nothing to do with them after the move....

during this same time, my muscovy female started to lay and weird as it may sound one of my female turkeys started to brood on it...

She was not laying at the time just taking the duck eggs and sitting on them.... So brilliant me, put the chicken eggs in her nest with the duck eggs.....

Now both turkeys are laying and the other muscovy female started laying... problem is now they really don't want to sit on the eggs until night.....

Last night the first female turkey wouldn't go near her nest so I put all of the eggs in the second turkey's nest....

I also found a turkey egg in the chicken's coop in the nesting box....

Should I chunk the eggs in the nest or see what happens in 21 days?? I couldn't tell this morning, but it looked like the ducks were in sitting on the eggs....

Are they all deranged??

[​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    LOLOL...your birds are so confused. At least they are not racists.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    We have had ours do the same thing. The only thing with a "mixed" nest like that is the chickens will hatch in 21 days the turks 28 the muscovy about 35. Sometimes ours will abandon the nest with the first group hatched or stay and the first hatch will starve. You can collect them as they hatch and brood them.

Steve in NC

4. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    Wish I had a bator.... I can take the babies away as they arrive and bring them in until they're big enough to return to the coop....

I just put out 5 - 3wk old chicks in a dog kennel in the coop and they all went nuts over them.... the male turkey displayed and the female ducks (mind you muscovies don't actually quack) hissed at them and pecked at them when they were outside the kennel as I was setting it up on a warm day....

Weird animals.... but so fun watching their antics.... I just don't want to be the cause of the babies not being able to develop....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by