Turkey are gone *update*graphic pics***

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by showme31, Jan 31, 2011.

1. showme31

showme31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    Sometime last night something got my turkey pair. The male's body (royal palm) was still in the pen and the female (blue slate) is totally gone. I can find very little evidence there was ever even a female in the pen, but goodness the feathers from the male are everywhere. My DD and I walked some of the property and we didn't see any evidence of the female anywhere that we walked. We have snow on the ground, but with the warm temps on Sat and Sun, it's iced over. I took pics of around the pen, but we did get sleet this morning. I'm wondering if this is evidence of a dog (most likely lab or lab mix). when I called hubby to tell him he didn't need to go water them this morning, he said that he ran a couple of dogs off a couple of weeks ago. Gee thanks, can't do anything to secure them better if you don't mention it. I hatched these guys in late April/early May last year. Whatever it was sure didn't seem to be detered by the chain link.

This is how I found the body
    [​IMG]

This is the nice hole I found in the fence and some digging that was attempted
    [​IMG]

Whatever it also tried to dig on this side also (kinda hard to see after our sleet this morning
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. jason389

jason389 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2010
    PBC
    Sorry for your loss.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Whatever did it will be back. If you have other animals, up their protection and have the shotgun ready.

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I would watch for the predator to come back.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    So sorry for your loss. Impressive amount of damage to that fence. I hope you figure out what happened.

6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    OMG! Is there any way that your girl could have flown up and away?? Or is your pen covered?? I'll keep my fingers crossed that she got out and flew off somewhere. Set some traps and keep your eyes and ears open...whatever it was, it'll be back for sure.

Sorry again

7. showme31

showme31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    Thanks everyone!

The turkeys were the only ones not under lock and key. They seemed to prefer it that way, no matter how many times we put them in their house and night we could never train them to go in on their own. We moved them to this house in Oct and we finally quit that battle just before Christmas. The chickens are already locked up for the day, we are experiencing some major nasty weather. In fact, a blizzard warning.

Whatever is the culprit will have to able we can dispatch of with a .22, that's all we have. Hubby said if we can find a way to protect his video camera from the sleet and snow and still get footage he would be willing to set that up for the next couple of nights to see if we can find out did this. During the snow this might be a challenge. Just bumming, those turkeys sure grew on me with their silly personalities. Almost every morning my DD would holler Mr Gobbles up there and he would make his turkey noise back at her. Was kinda funny.

8. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Sorry for your loss...

This wasnt dogs. Dogs kill for the joy of killing once its dead they chase the next once its dead.... Goats sheep and chickens are at risk. I have feral dogs occasionally.

This time of year... near the end of winter beginning of spring the predators are hungry and are on the move either looking for a mate or establishing new territory. I have had a whole flock taken by bobcat and mountain lion. They came back till they either cant get in or the food is gone. Coyotes too.

some I deas Ihave had:

1) A big dog that Barks and marks your territory on a regular basis (females mark to not just the boys).
    2) Very good enclosures. Bobcats will go straight up trees to get roosting hens. And can climb chainlink fences.
    3) Hot wire works quite well too.
    4) We are in mountain lion country and I have heard that a motion detecor light is a good deterrent as well.

9. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Yeah, they sure do grow on you for sure. I have a huge 30 lb. spoiled BBW that will be 2 this spring....spoiled rotten. Hopefully you can get another pair in the spring.

10. UrbanGrower

UrbanGrower Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    West Jordan, UT
    Maybe get a baby monitor, if the coop isn't too far away. Once you hear the noise you can intervene. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by