Turkey at the veterinarian

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by acooper7989, Apr 18, 2011.

1. acooper7989

acooper7989 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Prunedale
    I took my turkey (Lurkey "Tom" Turkey) to the veterinarian on Friday April 15th and he finally got to come home today (the 18th).
    Apparently he had some type of bacterial infection in his digestive system (?)
    Before (nice an healthy)
    [​IMG]
    At the veterinarian
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (ugh pardon this picture, I didn't know it was being taken and I look terrible from the stress [​IMG])
    [​IMG]
    Also, does anyone know what those spots are on the blue of his head? Is his head sunburned? They're sort of scabby. I forgot to ask the vet when we left today.
    I'll have to take some after photos in the morning, it's twilight now.

Here's a list of what treatments and such he received (does this seem like a normal amount of procedures?):
    Also, if anyone can tell me what some of these treatments are (ex, 'sub q fluids', 'ae 270 cbc' and 'lactated ringers') are that would be lovely [​IMG]
    4-16-11
    1 Routine Exam
    1 Lactated Ringers 1000ml
    1 Sub Q fluids
    1 Hand feeding 601gms
    4 Cephalexin 500mg
    1 Standing DV
    1 AE 270 CBC
    1 Med waste fee
    1 Hospitalization
    1 Avian Chemistry (in house)
    1 Med - Injection fee
    1 Gram stain
    4-17-11
    1 Hospitalization
    1 Sub Q fluids
    1 Hand feeding 601gms
    4 Cephalexin 500mgs
    1 Med - Injection fee
    1 Lactated Ringers 1000ml
    4-18-11
    1 Sub Q fluids
    1 Hand Feeding 601gms
    4 Cephalexin 500mgs
    1 Med - Injection Fee
    42 Cephalexin 500mgs (take home prescription)
    I have to give him 2 pills of Cephalexin in the morning and 2 in the evening.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  2. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Sq fluids is subcutaneous fluids. They basically gave fluids by injection but not by iv. Usually under the skin on the sides of dogs/cats.
    Lactated ringer is the fluids. It's what you call it. Don't know why.

The ae 270 CBC sounds like a lab panel? I'm not familiar with that. And to back up my information I am a vet assistant, but I work with dogs and cats only

3. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I looked it up the ae 270 CBC is the basic avian lab panel they run through antech diagnostics. We use the same company for our bloodwork where I work. Hope I helped.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    That looks like it's going to be a steep bill, no way would I ever send a chicken or turkey to a vet, but that's just me, I am sure you have your reasons and some folks do take them to vet's, but the cost can in no way be justified for me anyway. good luck and hope it works out for you.

5. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Yea, you didn't say how mch each of those things cost! Id love to know.

6. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    We took an emu to the vet once.

Well, by "we" I mean HE. I would never endorse such a thing.

And $1400 later.... we end up selling him for $100! I told the BF that I will kill him, yes, STAB HIM AND LET HIM BLEED OUT SLOWLY if he ever does such a silly thing.

I'm not sure if I would spend $1400 on my favorite dog.

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

He probably had a disease called Blackhead, it infects their gut, they can get it from infected chickens. They lose interest in food, get yellow looking poo, lose weight, sit around, face often starts losing color and getting dark looking...... treat with Fishzole for 5 days. Fishzole use to be like $20 a bottle of 100 pills, but for some reason it's jumped to $75 a bottle?????????
    Sorry he got sick. I have a turkey hen named Lurkey......

8. acooper7989

acooper7989 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Prunedale
    Larkspur88: Thanks so much for the info!

al6517: I love my turkey like a child haha so of course I would take him to the vet. Also, a family friend offered to pay for most of it so I took him up on the offer.

wbruder17:
    4-16-11
    1 Routine Exam - $45
    1 Lactated Ringers 1000ml - $11
    1 Sub Q fluids - $7
    1 Hand feeding 601gms -$19
    4 Cephalexin 500mg - $2.40
    1 Standing DV - $29
    1 AE 270 CBC - $51
    1 Med waste fee - $6
    1 Hospitalization - $25
    1 Avian Chemistry (in house) - $48.50
    1 Med - Injection fee - $6
    1 Gram stain -$29
    4-17-11
    1 Hospitalization -$25
    1 Sub Q fluids - $7
    1 Hand feeding 601gms - $19
    4 Cephalexin 500mgs - $2.40
    1 Med - Injection fee - $6
    1 Lactated Ringers 1000ml - $11
    4-18-11
    1 Sub Q fluids - $7
    1 Hand Feeding 601gms - $19
    4 Cephalexin 500mgs - $2.40
    1 Med - Injection Fee - $6
    42 Cephalexin 500mgs (take home prescription) - $37.20

I paid $138.50 and the family friend paid the rest.

TinkleTurkey: That is a steep price :O I'm thankful that I paid what I did.

chickenzoo: I was worried about that too but the vet didn't mention it. My turkey has been with the same chickens all of his life, could he recently have developed it? He hasn't had yellow poo and his interest in food has definitely perked up since going to the vet. I'll see if I can find some Fishzole around locally if not I'll order online. If he doesn't have Blackhead with the medication harm him if I give it to him?

9. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    A gram stain is to see what type of bacteria it is. We used to give Lactated Ringers to all the animals we took in when I worked at a wildlife rehab. It was the first thing they would get. I hope your turkey is doing well. I see no issue with taking a bird to the vet if that is what you feel is the right thing to do. We got our german shepherd knowing she wasn't well, and within a month of having her spent $2100 on heart surgery for her. I don't regret it at all.

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I hope your turkey does well! Ain't nothing wrong with taking your turkey to the vet. Most of the dogs we treat the owners got for free. So tending to your critters is all about the emotional bond we make with them- not how much the purchase price was. I'm going to turn my boss into a poultry vet. I'm planning to castrate my roosters-I say castrate because this will be a surgical procedure complete with anesthesia, monitoring, pain meds and so forth. Why bother with all this you say? Because veterinary medicine is constantly evolving and those animal doctors need to learn new things! And as his/her technician I want to be spot on in my duties.
    Also, I want to document the proceedings and see how the rooster (or ex-rooster) change in behavior such as crowing and aggressiveness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by